Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Lee. Superstar or not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Lee. Superstar or not?

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:10 pm

i was just going through some articles on TSN.. and i ran into this article called, "MLB Players on the Block?". here's part of the article.. full one can be found here .. anyways.. i was just wondering what everyone else thinks.. lee has been tremendous so far.. so it was kind of weird for me to see him under the second tier column..

Carlos Lee. Superstar or NOT?

Hitters

The Superstars:

Alex Rodriguez - While it seems unfathomable that the Yankees would deal the reigning American League MVP, talk has surfaced in the last few days about the possibility. The Yankees are only on hook for a portion of his contract, meaning that contenders with deep pocket books wouldn't face the brunt of his monster contract. A-Rod does have a no-trade clause, and will likely not be dealt, but the fact that his struggles have gotten his name out in talks is unbelievable.

Alfonso Soriano - The Nationals outfielder already has 30 home runs, displaying pop that many felt was near impossible at RFK Stadium in Washington. He's a free agent at the end of the year, and while he's expressed interest in returning to Washington, if the Nationals can't lock him up by the deadline, he should be dealt. The asking price is high, but he could be a real difference maker for a contender.

Bobby Abreu - While his home run totol has dipped this season, Abreu is running and as always is an on-base machine. Abreu is signed through 2007 with a team option for 2008. Because of near $25 million dollars left on the deal, teams will look for the Phillies to eat a portion of the contract to get a deal done. Philadelphia is reportedly asking for top prospects and seem to be reluctant to pick up a large portion of the remaining money on Abreu's deal. When you also consider that Abreu will only likely waive his no-trade if his option for 2008 is picked up, he could very well stay put.

Miguel Tejada - Reports out of Baltimore suggest that no one is really sure if owner Peter Angelos would actually let his star shortstop go in a trade. Rumours that the Astros are after him won't go away. Tejada has three-years remaining on his contract after this season, but reasonably priced for a superstar, averaging $12.66 million for the last three-years of his deal.

The Second Tier:

Carlos Lee - Depending how the Brewers do in the next week will determine if the slugger gets dealt or not. GM Doug Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Monday that if they dealt the free agent to be the Brewers would ask for players who are "close to Major League-ready". Lee has 12 steals, with 27 homeruns in 99 games so far this season.

Pat Burrell - Burrell is another Phillie that will be difficult to deal. He has three years remaining on his contract at over $35 million remaining in salary. The slugger could be a real boost in the lineup of a team with money to spend - though his contract could scare teams off.

Julio Lugo - The free agent to be has been hitting the cover off the ball, after missing some time early because of injury. He's posted double-digits and can play both shortstop and second base. Because the D-Rays are committed to youth, and Lugo likely won't re-sign, he's almost a sure bet to be moved. He can also play second base for teams that need help in the middle of the infield.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigZ38 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:32 pm

As far as a Fantasy superstar, I'm going to say yes.

I couldn't believe last year when yahoo didn't have him ranked in the top 100 to start the year, and in snake drafts I sat until the 7th/8th round and took him.

As far as being a media superstar...no. He played on the overshadowed white sox, and when the white sox gained national attention, he was in Milwaukee, Americas biggest small town.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Laean » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:30 am

i don't think carloss lee is a superstar.

if we're going by the real life media hype, lee obviously doesn't get as much coverage as arod, etc.

if we're going by stats/fantasy, lee's never had superstar #s until this year. and keep in mind, this season isn't over yet, and he seems to slow down in the 2nd half.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:36 am

carlos lee is too inconsistant to be classified as a "superstar".
he'll give you 30/100 but you never know if he'll hit .300 or .260. :-o
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:25 am

I don't think Lee belongs on the superstar level, but then I don't think Burrell/Lugo belong on the same level as Lee.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:52 am

has put up good but not superstar fantasy numbers prior to this season. as for real life: his obp is pretty average. never had an ops over .900. defense isnt too hot. he is no superstar.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby acsguitar » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:28 pm

He's no Sal Fasano I'll tell you that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:24 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:has put up good but not superstar fantasy numbers prior to this season. as for real life: his obp is pretty average. never had an ops over .900. defense isnt too hot. he is no superstar.

Agreed. He doesn't belong in "The Second Tier", but he also doesn't belong in "The Superstars"... he's just not yet in the same class as those guys. I'd say he's somewhere in between in terms of overall talent.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -50)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers