Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about keeper leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about keeper leagues

Postby Chip1010 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:11 pm

Hey, guys. I'm trying to put one together to start next season with a bunch of friends, and none of us have ever done it before. It's going to be 10 or 12 teams, and you can keep six for the next year. I've got a question:

Do most keeper leagues have some sort of rule where you can't keep any first- or second-round pick? Or something like that?

Thanks a lot.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:23 pm

Some leagues have a rule where you lose a 1st round pick if you keep a player drafted in the 1st round, but I haven't heard of a league where you can't keep a 1st rounder. In my league we don't have any rules like that for simplicity's sake.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
(Past Year: -70)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Another idea is to make 1st and 2nd round picks as 3-year keepers and they have to be granted FA thereafter.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Re: Question about keeper leagues

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:51 pm

Chip1010 wrote:Hey, guys. I'm trying to put one together to start next season with a bunch of friends, and none of us have ever done it before. It's going to be 10 or 12 teams, and you can keep six for the next year. I've got a question:

Do most keeper leagues have some sort of rule where you can't keep any first- or second-round pick? Or something like that?

Thanks a lot.

Start off simple. It is also the best way to do it anyway imo. Just let people keep 6 (if that is the numbe ryou want to set) players of their choosing and leave it at that. What typically happens is that after 3-4 years a few teams become loaded and a few teams become basket cases and you usually have to reduce the keeper count or put in some sort of draft/player protection rules to rebalance the league in order to keep it going. But worry about that bridge when you get to it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Chip1010 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. One other question: How do you determine draft order? I was thinking obviously make it random the first year, then every year after that do it in reverse order as to how the teams finished. Is that pretty standard, or do you just make it random every year?
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Chip1010 wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. One other question: How do you determine draft order? I was thinking obviously make it random the first year, then every year after that do it in reverse order as to how the teams finished. Is that pretty standard, or do you just make it random every year?

Reverse finish is more the standard after the first year. I use reverse finsish for the "choice of where you want to draft". In other words, the team owner tht finishes last gets first choice of where he wants to draft the next year. The second to last team gets to pick where he drafts next, etc. This allows some teams to better pick spots in the draft depending on what player' s will be avaiable and whether they want to be on the ends of the snakes or not.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Return to Baseball Leftovers