Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carmona (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Young 8 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:54 pm

p32bars wrote:MOD EDIT. Carmona should be removed for a while, I see Betancourt given another shot.

not very nice......... :-?
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brock middlebrook » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 am

I'm no fan of Wedge here, but he may actually right.

I actually like this move. He's giving the kid a chance to learn how to pitch under pressure.

Having blown 3 games, and still given the opp to close shows thta management has confidence in his abilities and that may be just the psychological boost this kid needs.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 am

brock middlebrook wrote:I'm no fan of Wedge here, but he may actually right.

I actually like this move. He's giving the kid a chance to learn how to pitch under pressure.

Having blown 3 games, and still given the opp to close shows thta management has confidence in his abilities and that may be just the psychological boost this kid needs.

Throwing the ball within 2 feet of the plate would be a start.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby p32bars » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 am

Carmona will retain his role as closer according to Wedge. I think they will take him out of the role for a few games to get his confidence back.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BTOWNHESS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:29 am

Giving him the chance to learn how to pitch under pressure? It's something you either have or don't have. Look at Papelbon. Look at Putz. Look at Otsuka. Those guys didnt need to learn, they KNOW how to pitch...under pressure or not...If youre a middle reliever pitching in front of 30,000 fans and being on a major league roster is pressure packed.

Look at all the failed projects at closer this year...You either have it or you dont...Fausto doesn't
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:34 am

BTOWNHESS wrote:

Giving him the chance to learn how to pitch under pressure? It's something you either have or don't have. Look at Papelbon. Look at Putz. Look at Otsuka. Those guys didnt need to learn, they KNOW how to pitch...under pressure or not...If youre a middle reliever pitching in front of 30,000 fans and being on a major league roster is pressure packed.

Look at all the failed projects at closer this year...You either have it or you dont...Fausto doesn't

Not a bad comment though I think Putz & Otsuka aren't going to be slammed next year. Otsuka for sure once hitters are used to him. Who knows if Pap will be needed in the pen. But I've also seen guys that got killed their 1st few times out closing and then becoming dominant. I've also seen of guys bombing then coming back and being dominate. Finally, I've seen of guys crashing and burning and never getting it together.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby enyouartist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:37 am

Does anyone remember other closers in the past struggling to begin their closer career? I would like a historical perspective before I drop this guy. I think Mariano blew his first couple of saves....but I don't really remember. Does anyone know? Did Gagne blow his first couple of saves when he first started? We know Papelbon was stellar from the beginning, but how many other closers blew their first couple of saves? Remember, it's Boston.
enyouartist
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 am

enyouartist wrote:Does anyone remember other closers in the past struggling to begin their closer career? I would like a historical perspective before I drop this guy. I think Mariano blew his first couple of saves....but I don't really remember. Does anyone know? Did Gagne blow his first couple of saves when he first started? We know Papelbon was stellar from the beginning, but how many other closers blew their first couple of saves? Remember, it's Boston.

I would hold on to him until he'd let go. Plus, the Indians have a lot of guys with closer potetential (Batencourt, Cabrera, Mota). I personally don't think Carmona will last but you never know. I think Cabrera will end up closing.
I believe Smoltz gave up like 4 or 5 runs his 1st time out.
Goosage was bad when he 1st closed for the Yankees.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby stumpak » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 am

Last night was a complete meltdown. I will admit that I had some confidence in Carmona, but I can't ever remembering anyone choking this bad out of the gate and winding up as a decent closer. The total loss of control, to me, indicates that is so far out of his element that he stands a strong chance of never really getting comfortable in that role.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 am

I'm having flashbacks of Joey Devine and Cox's thought process of "let him pitch through it...." :-t

Betancourt all the way.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers