Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carmona (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 pm

I really didn't think Carmona was THAT bad tonight....

The hit by Cora was a bullet that got in a hole. Fastball was kind of up and over the middle, but you're up by 2 and Alex Cora's hitting.

Youkilis gave Carmona a good AB, fouled off some tough pitches, Carmona walked him (though eh didn't come close on the last 2 pitches....)

Got Loretta on the pop up. Not a great pitch, but showed good stuff because Loretta couldn't do anything with it anyways

HR by Ortiz only occured because he fell behind in the count. Pitch to Papi was a hell of a pitch, fastball over the outside corner, Papi was just sitting on a fastball and drilled it.

That being siad, Carmona's off-speed stuff was just BAD tonight. Maybe it'll eb better in upcoming outings.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpusl19 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 pm

For everyone saying it was big papi, big papi didn't beat him, the two previous walks did. Now I not saying write him off after only two performances but control and handling pressure are two major factors in a closers success and carmona seemed not to have either tonight.
jpusl19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 am

I still say(and go ahead tell me how crazy I am), the long term closer job in Cleveland belongs to Fernando Cabrera. Let the beatings begin, but mark it down.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 am

that said, I agree with what most people said. The carmona experiment is not over yet. .......YET.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby T_Majik » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 am

jpusl19 wrote:For everyone saying it was big papi, big papi didn't beat him, the two previous walks did. Now I not saying write him off after only two performances but control and handling pressure are two major factors in a closers success and carmona seemed not to have either tonight.

Actually it was one hit (Cora) and one walk (Youk). Marte was playing in for the bunt and was burned by Cora. Youk actually worked the count but Carmona was erratic. Curve wasnt working tonight. Still holding out hope... :-o
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams
T_Majik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:37 am

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:I still say(and go ahead tell me how crazy I am), the long term closer job in Cleveland belongs to Fernando Cabrera. Let the beatings begin, but mark it down.

INKcogKNEEdough

I completly agree. Cabrera has a huge K rate. All he needs to do is limit the BB and he's a stud closer.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby brock middlebrook » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:20 pm

I think Wedge screwed the pooch a bit here, by waiting so long to get him in a game. Going so long between outings is going to affect your sharpness. It is also going to magnify any nervousness you might have as your just playing a waiting game day after day after day.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:57 am

Carmona is still the closer. He has 1 blown save vs. Papi... ANyways i want to throw him in the trash but closers are way to valuable
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Carmona article from local Ohio newspaper.

Postby p32bars » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:23 am

per cantonrep.com

Indians notebook: Carmona’s head up after Ortiz homer
Wednesday, August 2, 2006 indians notebook ANDY CALL

Advertisement

BOSTON Fausto Carmona had something to say to Indians Manager Eric Wedge and pitching coach Carl Willis on Tuesday afternoon.

“Fausto came in and told us, ‘I’m ready to go; I want to pitch tonight,’ ” Willis said. “He’s not afraid. He wants the baseball.”

The former setup man had wilted under the pressure of his first two ninth-inning workshifts, giving up four runs in Sunday’s 7-3 loss to Seattle and David Ortiz’s game-winning three-run home run to end Monday’s 9-8 loss at Boston.

The 22-year-old right-hander had been named the team’s closer July 20 when Bob Wickman was traded to Atlanta.

“His mechanics may have been off, but that’s a byproduct of inexperience,” Willis said. “He’s overthrowing, a natural reaction for anybody in his situation. There’s nothing to panic about.”

Carmona didn’t appear panicked Tuesday as he played cards and chatted with teammates in the cramped visitors’ clubhouse at Fenway Park.

“The pitch was a sinker, down and away, but (Ortiz) is a good hitter and he was looking for a fastball,” Carmona said.

Wedge said he would not use Carmona in three consecutive games. He said Rafael Betancourt, Fernando Cabrera or Brian Sikorski could pitch the ninth inning, if needed.

“One of the reasons we put Fausto in that role is, we feel he can handle it,” Wedge said. “He’s not going to be in a tougher situation than in this park against that hitter. It should be gravy after that.”

Better days may be ahead for Carmona, but so may other learning experiences.

“This could take some time,” Willis said.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:46 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
INKcogKNEEdough wrote:I still say(and go ahead tell me how crazy I am), the long term closer job in Cleveland belongs to Fernando Cabrera. Let the beatings begin, but mark it down.

INKcogKNEEdough

I completly agree. Cabrera has a huge K rate. All he needs to do is limit the BB and he's a stud closer.

That's what people were saying at the beginning of the year, so I drafted him. He promptly got shelled, demoted, then shelled some more. Maybe he's a closer of the future, but unless Carmona is total crap, I don't see how Cabrera is going to be that much better this year. Next year might prove different.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers