Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP/RP DUAL AVAILABILITY IS KILLING MY LEAGUE. WHAT CAN I DO?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP/RP DUAL AVAILABILITY IS KILLING MY LEAGUE. WHAT CAN I DO?

Postby KULCAT » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:55 pm

This guy in my league is making a killing by having 8 closers in his team. we have 2RP spots, 1P and 4 SP's but he has picked everyone with a SP position and its destroying the opposition for a second year in a row. He also has the most free time on his hands so he always grabs everyone and doesnt make any trade for the rest of his closers in his bench. This wouldnt be a problem in a Roto league but our league is a fantasy points one. Next year were adding 2 more teams(were 10) and im just biting my nails at the thought and teams having no closer whatsoever. Is there anyway to go around this? any option yahoo gives you sp closers cant use that SP thing?
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:59 pm

Why is it killing the league? If he only starts closers how can he win? Put a minimum innings limit, and how does he get everyone? Do you not have waivers? Add waivers.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:00 pm

What CL have SP eligibility besides Papelbon & Dempster this year? I use this strategy every year. It's part of the game.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Um... how can a guy with 8 closers be winning in any category but saves? Most closers who are SP eligible usually aren't very good (Papelbon being the lone exception this year I think). How can he compete in wins and Ks, or even ERA and WHIP? Plus, this isn't any different than most setups... in a Yahoo standard 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 AP configuration, he'd still be able to use 7 closers. Sounds like sour grapes, especially using the time excuse.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Make closers less valuable, and the easiest way is to cut down how many points saves are worth.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby The Jury » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm

If this were a few years ago with Santana, JC Romero, Dotel, and the rest of that bunch then it may be more feasible. But I don't see how this guy can dominate your league with the crop of SP/RP guys this year.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Re: SP/RP DUAL AVAILABILITY IS KILLING MY LEAGUE. WHAT CAN I

Postby pa_tater » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:07 pm

KULCAT wrote:This guy in my league is making a killing by having 8 closers in his team. we have 2RP spots, 1P and 4 SP's but he has picked everyone with a SP position and its destroying the opposition for a second year in a row. He also has the most free time on his hands so he always grabs everyone and doesnt make any trade for the rest of his closers in his bench. This wouldnt be a problem in a Roto league but our league is a fantasy points one. Next year were adding 2 more teams(were 10) and im just biting my nails at the thought and teams having no closer whatsoever. Is there anyway to go around this? any option yahoo gives you sp closers cant use that SP thing?

I attempt to use this very strategy every year....works every time in pts. leagues

}:-) MUAAAAHHAAA...
pa_tater
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -13)

Postby drunkmonkey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:What CL have SP eligibility besides Papelbon & Dempster this year? I use this strategy every year. It's part of the game.

I know Carmona has SP.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -4)

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:30 pm

If ya can't beat em, join em.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers