Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP/RP DUAL AVAILABILITY IS KILLING MY LEAGUE. WHAT CAN I DO?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby daullaz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:11 pm

So, ummmmm, maybe I'm the idiot here, but what exactly IS your scoring system? Maybe then we can figure something out.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 am

Matthias wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Matthias wrote:Also, the whole Soriano question is silly. If the second baseman went down tomorrow, Soriano could step in and play second. There is actually some sort of legitimacy to the idea that positional players could slide in and out of multiple positions. But Papelbon cannot step in and start tomorrow. Neither can Dempster. Different things. But again, it's HIS LEAGUE. You don't need to tell him how to run it.

You finally caught yourself in a web of explanations Matthias.

Yes, Soriano can play 2nd if the 2nd baseman went down tommorow, but closers can start (Depster has before, so has papelbon, Wakefield is in and out of the rotation every week, etc...) if an ace pitcher went down and they were asked to step in. Didn't analyze that arguement too well I see?

Ah. I'm honored that you've been watching so closely.

But no, Papelbon cannot come in and start tomorrow. Or can Dempster. They could start in a few weeks or more but they'd have to get stretched out in order to make the transition. And they certainly couldn't close one day, start the next, and then close the third. Switching pitching roles is just different from switching positionals (some sort of RJ World Series heroics aside).

Positional players, on the other hand, can play second one day, third the next, and outfield the day after. Look at Bill Hall, Ryan Freel, Chone Figgins, et. al. But I'm sure I'm just telling you things you already knew and you were just teasing me.

Because in any case, it's this guy's league and I know you wouldn't want someone telling you how to set up your league and you respect his right to set his up the way he wants his.

I think that ZiG is right here (in fact I was thinking the same thing when I saw your post), McCarthy has pitched in middle relief all this year for the sox, but if they had an injury at SP tommorrow, they would have McCarthy replace that person in the rotation. Not two weeks from now, but now. The same applies with position players, but they have a caveat as well, while they CAN be moved from position to position MOST are only valuable at 1 or 2...
I think reducing the points for saves is probably the best and simplest idea (or adding points for IP)
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Change your points?

Postby lsommerer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:05 am

I think adding a minimum Innings is your best bet, as that will be the easiest to get most owners to agree to. But what are you using for your points now? Changing that would also be a valid way to go. Here's what we use for pitchers:

Innings Pitches 6pts
Saves/Holds 6pts
Strikeouts 2pt
Earned Runs -6pts
Bases Allowed -2pt
Walks Issued -2pt

But holds and saves are pretty contrived, and we really didn't want to use them. The problem with not using them is that then it's hard to make a closer worth as much as a starting pitcher. In the end we decided that that really didn't matter. We don't try to make a catcher worth as much as a first basemen either.

So this is what it looks like we'll be using next season:

Inning Pitched 6pts
Strikeout 2pts
Pick Off 2pts
Intentional Walk 2pts
Walk Issued -2pts
Hit Allowed -2pts
Hit Batsmen -2pts
Earned Run -8pts
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach