Return to Baseball Leftovers

is Josh Johnson for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is Josh Johnson for real?

Postby KrazyA428 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm

ive had him on my team for the better part of this year and ive been enjoying his success. But is he for real? What is his stuff like, anyways?
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ravenmad22 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:11 am

He walks too many but other than that, he looks like a total stud.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Blue Bear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:54 am

ravenmad22 wrote:He walks too many but other than that, he looks like a total stud.

sounds like a similar complaint about carlos zambrano's emergence out of nowhere a few years back.
Blue Bear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KrazyA428 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:27 am

so do you think he should be considered to be a keeper.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby stumpak » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 am

I think he has proven that he is for real in the sense that he is a solid MLB starter. I don't think that there is enough evidence to say that he is a 3.00 ERA guy on a long-term basis, but he should at minimum be a serviable fantasy starter moving forward (equivalant to Sabathia or something like that), and it could be a lot better than that (I can see the Zambrano parallels as well).
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby g-dawg » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:14 am

Nerfherders wrote:As I always say about first year players setting the world on fire.. give it another year. The opposition doesnt know him yet and once the 'book' goes around some and they make adjustments, then its up to the player to adjust back. Some do, some dont.

In the case of Johnson, it's much too early to tell, but he will probably be good for the remainder of this season. Just dont draft him too early next year!

So in other words, don't draft him next year. Someone will probably take him earlier than he should actually go, so make sure that someone isn't you.

I was thinking about something like this just the other day - how many people will take Liriano before Johan Santana next year? With the year Liriano has had so far, I'm sure some people will. But Santana has proven himself for a few years now, so I would rather draft him first. It's always a gamble to put your faith in these guys that have great rookie seasons. There's no doubt some will go on to be great players, but some won't even be worth a roster spot next year.
g-dawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby giants! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 am

Looking at his minorleague numbers he cant sustain the success. Over his 4 year minor league career he gave up 8.9h/9 innings. He also walks too many, has never been a great strikeout pitcher, and had an underwhelming 3.73 era in his minor league career. There have been surprises before, but I dont think Johnson will match his success from this year, next year
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby mikhayl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:28 am

g-dawg wrote:So in other words, don't draft him next year. Someone will probably take him earlier than he should actually go, so make sure that someone isn't you.

See Felix this year. He was a consensus 4th-5th round pick.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 am

I've been asking myself this all year and all year he keeps proving to me he is, especially when he's going against my pitchers. I was so mad when he beat Halladay.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers