Return to Baseball Leftovers

Altitude getting to Cirillo's head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reynolds80 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:33 pm

DENVER (AP) -- Jeff Cirillo sank heavily into the chair at his locker, shrugged his shoulders, tilted his head and raised his eyebrows.

"Do you believe me now?" begged his body language.

Hours after suggesting illegal, waterlogged baseballs were being used at Coors Field, accounting for the dramatic decline in scoring at the ballpark formerly known as "Coors Canaveral," the Milwaukee Brewers beat the Colorado Rockies 1-0 on Tuesday night.

It was just the fourth 1-0 game in the stadium's 12-year history but the third this year at what is fast becoming just another pitcher's park.

"Another coincidence?" Cirillo asked. "Don't get me wrong (David) Bush and (Josh) Fogg pitched great. But two guys with a 5.00 ERA pitching a 1-0 game?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Another raise of the eyebrows -- fitting, because his comments assuredly did the same across baseball Tuesday night.

Teams are combining to average a record low 9.09 runs a game at Coors, a 33 percent decrease from its heyday a decade ago, and there have always been grumbling about the humidor since its introduction five years ago at Coors Field to keep baseballs from drying up and shrinking in Denver's thin air.

But Cirillo was the first to publicly suggest that the baseballs are waterlogged, preventing them from leaving the ballpark with their usual regularity in the mile-high altitude.

"I don't feel anything different. The ball feels the same in my hands," said Bush, who allowed five singles over six innings.

Damian Miller's RBI single in the seventh was the only scoring in the major league-leading 11th shutout at Coors Field.

"I remember how it used to be, and yeah, I think the numbers speak for themselves," Colorado's Todd Helton said. "There's a difference, but we are competing every game, so that's OK. I think the park plays a lot better. Pitchers throw better games, the pace of games is the way it should be.

"Selfishly, I'd like to see the ball fly a little bit more, but I'm all right with it."

AP - Aug 2, 12:41 am EDT
More Photos

Bush (7-8) hit two batters and struck out two. Francisco Cordero, who came to the Brewers last Friday in a trade with Texas, got the final four outs for his second save.

The Rockies loaded the bases in the ninth when Helton led off with a triple and Cordero walked Brad Hawpe and Choo Freeman around two strikeouts. He struck out Cory Sullivan to end the game.

Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said he has so much faith in his new closer, who replaced an ineffective Derrick Turnbow, that "I still felt good" after center fielder Tony Gwynn Jr. misplayed Helton's hit into a triple.

"I think I might have been surprised if they scored there," Yost said.

Cordero wasn't bothered by Helton's hit.

"I've been in that situation before. This isn't my first game in the big leagues," he said. "I set it in my mind that I had to get a couple of strikeouts because any contact probably a run scores."

Cirillo was right about the wet baseballs Tuesday night -- a steady rain started falling in the seventh and lasted about 15 minutes while fans scurried for shelter.

Fogg (7-6) took the loss despite allowing one run and seven hits in 6 2-3 innings. He walked two, both intentional, and struck out six.

Geoff Jenkins led off the seventh with a double into the right field corner and advanced on David Bell's groundout. Bill Hall, who had singled and doubled, was intentionally walked, bringing up Miller.

Fogg picked off Hall for the second out but Miller sent a 2-2 pitch between shortstop Clint Barmes and third baseman Garrett Atkins for an RBI single.

Later that inning, Tony Graffanino's fly ball to left with the bases full died at the wall for the third out, another piece of evidence in Cirillo's conspiracy theory.

"We will keep playing games," Colorado manager Clint Hurdle said, "and the park will establish its own identity."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt= ... 27&prov=ap

It is a little strange. If they've had the humidor for years, then why is this the first year that scoring has been so low? If you charted the scoring at Coors over the last decade it would look like a steep cliff.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:33 pm

mikhayl wrote:
Old_Style wrote:I heard MLB has a man down in the depths of Coors Field injecting the balls with H2O. :-?

Does that job pay decent and include benefits? I could do that...

i'm not sure but i hear they have a good union :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:34 pm

Cirillo is an idiot. Had his best years Coors induced, and now he's just a loser bench player.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -9)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:02 pm

Wow, that's harsh. I'm not saying I agree with him, but "loser bench player"? "Idiot"? Harsh. The guy is as nice as they come, and is still a .300 hitter. Additionally, I would argue he had his best years in Milwaukee (before Colorado).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby TonyCee » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:10 pm

The part that tripped me out was the "major league-leading 11th shutout at Coors Field this year" :-?

I wonder how many shutouts they have total in there history? Anyone know where to look that up?
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:25 pm

Not harsh when you consider he's accusing a team of flat out cheating. The guy should be happy he played at Coors for 2 years to pad his career stats.

You always used to hear people complain about "that joke of a ballpark" when it was too hitter friendly. Now people are complaining when its pitching better. Give me a break...

No one will give credit to the Rockies pitching staff. Look at the ERAs by the starters. Look at the bullpen ERA. Look at the collective team ERA, which I believe ranks 1st in the NL, or fairly close. The pitchers are pitching much better this year. Throwing more strikes, being more consistent, and the Rockies have the type of pitchers who can succeed at Coors Field.

Edit: Also, why isn't the Rockies home record better if they "cheat?" 27-26 going into tonight... oh but I'm sure thats all part of the conspiracy too... /sarcasm
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -9)

Postby byfrcp » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:28 pm

On PTI today they said 11 shutouts this year, 36 in the hhistory of Coors field. So it is a little drastic. Runs scored per game are down from 15 last year, to 9 this year. Again pretty drastic. Oh and BK KIM has an ERA of like 2.75 at home this year, and it's BK FRICKEN KIM, again pretty drastic. They probly are cheating, but it's not helping, because they still won't make the playoffs.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:31 pm

byfrcp wrote:On PTI today they said 11 shutouts this year, 36 in the hhistory of Coors field. So it is a little drastic. Runs scored per game are down from 15 last year, to 9 this year. Again pretty drastic. Oh and BK KIM has an ERA of like 2.75 at home this year, and it's BK FRICKEN KIM, again pretty drastic. They probly are cheating, but it's not helping, because they still won't make the playoffs.

I agree with you, the change is too drastic and the league should look in to it. I won't go so far as to say they cheat and bring out different balls when they need to score more runs or anything like that...and yes, both teams are probably playing under the same conditions. Still though, the change from last year to this year is crazy.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:47 pm

slomo007 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:On PTI today they said 11 shutouts this year, 36 in the hhistory of Coors field. So it is a little drastic. Runs scored per game are down from 15 last year, to 9 this year. Again pretty drastic. Oh and BK KIM has an ERA of like 2.75 at home this year, and it's BK FRICKEN KIM, again pretty drastic. They probly are cheating, but it's not helping, because they still won't make the playoffs.

I agree with you, the change is too drastic and the league should look in to it. I won't go so far as to say they cheat and bring out different balls when they need to score more runs or anything like that...and yes, both teams are probably playing under the same conditions. Still though, the change from last year to this year is crazy.

makes for more exciting ball games wouldn't you say? Would you rather watch a 5-3 game or a 10-6 game?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Oh my god they aren't cheating.

Do you understand what is going on with the baseballs??

baseballs in city A: have X amount of Humidty which affects their weight/pop

Baseballs in Colorado have: Y amount of Humidty which is way way less then City A.

They Make X = Y EQUAL my friends EQUAL

Cirillio is an idiot. The reason he may THINK the ball feels wet is because in actuality it is Wetter then the air. The air is freaking dry out here.

Very low humidity. When you go running you don't really sweat.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers