Page 1 of 3

Altitude getting to Cirillo's head

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:12 pm
by acsguitar
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/b ... index.html

DENVER (AP) -- Illegal, waterlogged baseballs are the real reason runs are harder to come by at Coors Field nowadays, Milwaukee infielder Jeff Cirillo suggested Tuesday.

Cirillo said that on Monday he compared a baseball from Milwaukee that Brewers first base coach Dave Nelson used to hit fly balls to the outfielders with one from that night's game. The one from Denver was spongy, puffy and heavy, he said.


"One looked like a round ball and the other looked like an oblong ball," Cirillo said. "And even some of the infielders said when they were throwing across the diamond, the ball felt a little heavy."

Cirillo did not offer the baseballs as evidence when he spoke to reporters before the Brewers-Rockies game on Tuesday night.

The baseball from Milwaukee might simply have dried out and shrunk in Denver's thin air, the very reason the humidor was introduced at Coors Field five years ago. Balls are now stored in a humidor before they are used in Colorado's home park.

Coors Field is tied with Comerica Park in Detroit for the most shutouts in the majors this year with 10, including six by Rockies pitchers.

Cirillo, who played two seasons in Colorado pre-humidor, agreed the Rockies have better pitching now, "but at the same time, does that mean the rest of the league has better pitching, also?"

Cirillo suggested shenanigans with the humidor could account for the dip in scoring and the decline in home runs at the ballpark that used to be known as "Coors Canaveral" for all the baseballs that were launched into the seats.

"The other thing, too, is what if the Rockies get behind by a lot of runs in a game? Say they break out the non-humidor balls, you know what I'm saying?" Cirillo said.

Hogwash, said his manager, Ned Yost.

"That's nuts, man. That's just a waste of time discussing it. The same balls are used by both teams," Yost said. "I don't care if they are dry or wet."

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who was Cirillo's hitting instructor in Colorado from 2000-01, got a good chuckle out of Cirillo's comments.

"I think as long as people are talking in that vein and that avenue, it can do nothing but work for us," Hurdle said. "We're not allowed to cheat. And the balls that we send in are tested. And the humidor's regulated. You know, Jeff's always been a very creative thinker. ... He's always been able to think outside the box."

Cirillo said he's serious and that baseball should investigate his claims.

"It's pretty dramatic, wouldn't you say? Most shutouts in Coors Field, in the National League, when you take into account Petco, Dodger Stadium, where Washington plays. Those are huge parks," Cirillo said.

"Hey, I'm not the first one to complain about it."

Runs have never been harder to score at Coors Field since the stadium opened in 1995. The average game now features a combined nine runs -- down from 15 runs that were scored a decade ago. Of course, the Rockies don't have the Blake Street Bombers hitting home runs all over the place as they did back then.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Humidor = standard weight and moisture the end

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:19 pm
by flowbee
Lol maybe cirillo is just mad because his career has turned into a backup utility guy

But I will say he has grounds to speak his mind and be a lil suspicious at least....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:22 pm
by Dan Lambskin
Jeff Cirillo is still in the league?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:14 pm
by PlayingWithFire
I just heard this yesterday but they also grew the infield grass up this year?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:15 pm
by acsguitar
PlayingWithFire wrote:I just heard this yesterday but they also grew the infield grass up this year?


It doesn't look any different to me.

looks standard but maybee thats true...We are so dry out here the ground is way hard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:19 pm
by PlayingWithFire
acsguitar wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:I just heard this yesterday but they also grew the infield grass up this year?


It doesn't look any different to me.

looks standard but maybee thats true...We are so dry out here the ground is way hard


heard this from the Rockies' bench coach(the Rockies do have a lot of Royals connection, Clint Hurdle is a former Royal) that the real reason(he thinks anyway) that the pitching is so good is because the infield grass is longer(make sense, lots of sinkerballer they have) and they've been using the humidor for 7 years. Makes sense but can't you like turn the humidor up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 pm
by byfrcp
They should play with Nerf water balls that'd be fun to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:55 pm
by Old_Style
I heard MLB has a man down in the depths of Coors Field injecting the balls with H2O. :-?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:59 pm
by mikhayl
Old_Style wrote:I heard MLB has a man down in the depths of Coors Field injecting the balls with H2O. :-?


Does that job pay decent and include benefits? I could do that...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:32 pm
by flowbee
PlayingWithFire wrote: Makes sense but can't you like turn the humidor up?


Yeah the humidor setting is supposed to be at 40% I believe, but they could turn it up way higher if they wanted to I'm guessing. Consipiracy time