Return to Baseball Leftovers

5-man rotation of death this season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5-man rotation of death this season

Postby bellings » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:06 am

What is the worst possible fantasy rotation this year, with the 1 requirement that it could have been good? I'm looking at my team, and I've got:

Harden
Prior
Buehrle
Patterson
Felix

I'm actually starting to wonder if this is as bad as it gets. Now taking nominations for the most season-killing rotation that looked viable at the beginning of the year.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kkhere » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:15 am

King Felix is not doing bad enough to be on the list and he is starting to heat up now
kkhere
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jbones733 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:17 am

yeah & thge other guys arent bad, you just took injury prone guys in Harden & Prior & caught a bad break w Patterson, Buerhle was good, been bad recently

i see how that staff has tremendous, tremendous upside & has let you down,
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby bellings » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:22 am

This thread is really on pace to get eaten by the hamster. I wasn't trying to complain (ok, I did complain a little bit.) But I was hoping to see who people thought were the 5 most disappointing pitchers this year.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:16 am

Clearly, that bum Peavy could replace any one pitcher on your list and make that list worse. He's been terrible.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby BTOWNHESS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:18 am

I'm not sure if we're only talking SP, but I'm gonna put my top 5 most dissapointing SP because with the way closers are going (Lidge, Turnbow, etc.) I could could give you a list of 15

1. Mark Prior- God what an awful story his career is turning into.

2. Jake Peavy- On average a 3rd round pick. I think he's hiding an injury, he has looked terrible this year. The pitching equivelant of mark Teixera this year...Plays good enough you wont cut him, but bad enough you cant count on him like you should be able to.

3. Chris Carpenter- He was on average drafted in the 2nd round of most fantasy leagues...He hasnt sucked this year but he hasnt been automatic like most of his owners hoped he would be

4. Ben Sheets- With as good as Milwakee was earlier this year, this guy if healthy could have been a 20 game winner with 300 K's....Thats winning the NL Cy Young by a mile this year.

5. Andy Pettite- What a difference a year makes...compare his numbers from last year...ouch.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: 5-man rotation of death this season

Postby bigwords » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:47 am

[quote="bellings"] Now taking nominations for the most season-killing rotation that looked viable at the beginning of the year.[/quote]

Dontrelle Willis
Felix Hernandez
Randy Johnson
Jon Lieber

Granted, these players have gotten better over the season, but those first couple months really killed me -- enough I had to abandon my entire philosophy and trade for undeniably great, consistent pitchers. Now I have a rotation of Oswalt, Zito, Halladay, and Beckett.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby mak1277 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 am

BTOWNHESS wrote:2. Jake Peavy- On average a 3rd round pick. I think he's hiding an injury, he has looked terrible this year. The pitching equivelant of mark Teixera this year...Plays good enough you wont cut him, but bad enough you cant count on him like you should be able to.

I actually read somewhere that he is pitching with the same injury that put Sheets on the DL this year. Take that for what it's worth.

BTOWNHESS wrote:4. Ben Sheets- With as good as Milwakee was earlier this year, this guy if healthy could have been a 20 game winner with 300 K's....Thats winning the NL Cy Young by a mile this year.

At least he's back and (so far) dominant. Will definitely make a big impact for any team's stretch run. Oh, and I think 300 K's is a tad optimistic for anyone these days.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 am

The fact that carpenter was listed is absurd. He has a 2.93 era with 10 wins how do you complain about that. I admit peavy has been bad but i think hes turning it around. He has two solid outtings in a row and is still striking peopl eout. I also think RJ is turning it around and dont thinnk he should be mentioned here. King Felix is also turning it around and shouldn't be considered a disappointment. Its your own fault for drafting harden and prior. So im not going to mention them either because you should have known better. I'm only going to mention guys that have been disappointing and have no sign of turning it around. My biggest disappointments are as follows:

Hudson
Pettite
Buehrle
Patterson (wouldn't expected the injury)
Colon (even when not injured hes been inconsistent, Cy Young what?)
Willis (20 game winner huh :-P )
Mulder :-D

anyway those are in no particular order...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:02 am

where are you reading about the injury on peavy. All i read is that he's put the injury behind him and his past two outtings have been indicative of that?? show me a link...

rotoworld:

Jake Peavy threw seven innings and allowed one run Tuesday in a loss to the Astros.

A hard-luck defeat for Peavy, but at least it was a second straight positive outing. He seems to be on his way to returning to ace form.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers