Return to Baseball Leftovers

J. Reyes signed through 2010

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:21 am

SO thrilled!!!!
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:32 am

Go Reyes! Go Mets!

Call me greedy but....

Go Wright!! Go Mets! :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Submariner » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:47 am

Signing a speedster to a long-term deal? Heh. I wish the Mets luck with that.
Sucking since 2003
Submariner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukrneal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:58 am

Submariner wrote:Signing a speedster to a long-term deal? Heh. I wish the Mets luck with that.

He's young thogh, so chances are much better than other deals with older players. Risk is lower, despite his injury threat, which seems to have receded.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby hybrid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:59 am

Submariner wrote:Signing a speedster to a long-term deal? Heh. I wish the Mets luck with that.

I'm somewhat curious what you actually mean by this comment. It's pretty obvious he brings more to the game then just speed if you have watched him enough. Also the deal expires when he will be 27/28, so it's hardly a deal that will haunt them due to age or money.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby TaturCity34 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:12 am

hybrid wrote:

I'm somewhat curious what you actually mean by this comment. It's pretty obvious he brings more to the game then just speed if you have watched him enough. Also the deal expires when he will be 27/28, so it's hardly a deal that will haunt them due to age or money.

Word
TaturCity34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Submariner » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:54 am

hybrid wrote:

Actually, I don't watch him at all. But that just saves me from the he-sure-looked-slick-on-that-play bias. A lot can happen in the next few years. Just think how much changes from year to year alone. That's mostly my point. I think because we play fantasy, we get a little more excited about stolen bases than perhaps we ought. Is he a good defender? I don't know because I don't really need to know, but even then, many shortstops are also good defenders. He's not a poor hitter, but he's not a great one either. And simply because he's young does not necessarily mean he'll become one. But my thinking has always been too small-market, and of course the Mets can afford such risks. I can just think of better risks to take. Word.
Sucking since 2003
Submariner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukrneal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:33 am

Submariner wrote:
hybrid wrote:

Actually, I don't watch him at all. But that just saves me from the he-sure-looked-slick-on-that-play bias. A lot can happen in the next few years. Just think how much changes from year to year alone. That's mostly my point. I think because we play fantasy, we get a little more excited about stolen bases than perhaps we ought. Is he a good defender? I don't know because I don't really need to know, but even then, many shortstops are also good defenders. He's not a poor hitter, but he's not a great one either. And simply because he's young does not necessarily mean he'll become one. But my thinking has always been too small-market, and of course the Mets can afford such risks. I can just think of better risks to take. Word.

I think the Twins, Royals, etc. would all willing to take such a risk on one of the best SS in the league, considering he could get even better. His defense is fine (range at or above average) and should get better too. His hitting is good and getting better and is close to being great. So overall, I don't think this is much of a risk. If he continues as he is, he'll be worth well over 12M per year. And even if he doesn't and stays ecactly at this level, 4M is more than reasonable.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers