Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lastings Milledge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sockeye » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Great stuff, guys - I appreciate it. For now, I think I will pas on the Milledge deal and hold onto my guy.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Amazinz wrote:You cannot use minor league BABIP numbers the same way you would major league numbers. There are large talent gaps at the minor league level and we should expect to see BABIP that are abnormal from a major league perspective.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. He only had a high obp due to the large gaps in talent at the minor league level. His hr/k/bb/ab ratios indicate a much worse hitter that simply took advantage of shoddy defensive talent by foregoing walks in favor of putting the ball in play almost all the time that he didn't strike out. That model works for very few major league players - Ichiro, Vlad, maybe toss in a Polanco or Pudge as well - because the level of defensive talent is fairly consistent versus what you would find in the minors.

Right now Milledge has age and tools as his only positive aspects. On the negative side of the ledger you have plate discipline, base running, fielding, consistency as well as the intangibles. Could he end up being a solid major leaguer? Possibly...especially if he adjusts his attitude quite a bit. Will he be a star? It's doubtful at this point. There's just too many things that would need fixed to think that even a new attitude is going to get him there.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Very hard to know when it comes to prospects from either team in NY how much is hype and how much is real. I think Milledge has the athletic skills to succeed but he's getting a reputation as a head case with a lousy work ethic. He looks like he spends more time on his 70s-era jerry curls than he does in the batting cage.

He may yet mature into a valuable fantasy commodity but for now I'd pass unless its a late-round flyer. I'm not even sure whether he'll have a full-time job in the majors next year. He may end up in a remake of Hollywood Shuffle or Coming to America as the jerry-curl guy. :-b
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:18 pm

I don't like his attitude. I hope the Mets trade him.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers