Return to Baseball Leftovers

Statistical argument to why Bonds deserves MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby timkell » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am

I read all of your posts, but the way you talk about Barry's walks and his standing over the plate is that if any other major league batter did the same, he'd have the same stats as Barry. That's the part that I don't like. Other players do the same thing, and they still can't hit for beans.

I've rarely seen Bonds get a pitch over the middle of the plate. Why would someone do this? Any major league hitter these days that gets a meatball can mash it into the seats. Bonds is the player that everyone knows see less pitches to hit than anyone else in baseball. Yet most of his homers are over the middle of the plate? Since I watch almost every Giants game, and I'm not even a Giants fan, I have to disagree.

The fact is that every NL pitcher knows that if you make a mistake pitch against Bonds, and he doesn't put it into the seats, you are one lucky pitcher. They won't do that twice. Because of that, Bonds "earns" every walk he gets. There's no other hitter in baseball that the opposing manager is ALWAYS happy when he makes it to first base and that's it. IMO, he earns his walks and his home runs.

And like I said, Pujols is MVP!!!

:-D
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -36)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:28 am

timkell wrote:I read all of your posts, but the way you talk about Barry's walks and his standing over the plate is that if any other major league batter did the same, he'd have the same stats as Barry. That's the part that I don't like. Other players do the same thing, and they still can't hit for beans.

Sorry if I was misleading. I agree. There are a lot of people who crowd the plate and no, they do not have the same stats as Barry. All I was pointing out was that he shouldn't be rewarded for not standing in the box.

Timkell wrote:I've rarely seen Bonds get a pitch over the middle of the plate. Why would someone do this? Any major league hitter these days that gets a meatball can mash it into the seats. Bonds is the player that everyone knows see less pitches to hit than anyone else in baseball. Yet most of his homers are over the middle of the plate? Since I watch almost every Giants game, and I'm not even a Giants fan, I have to disagree.

I can't say much on this other than I've seen Barry crush many pitches that were over the center of the plate this year. When a pitcher makes a mistake, 99 out of 100 times, Barry doesn't miss it.

Timkell wrote:The fact is that every NL pitcher knows that if you make a mistake pitch against Bonds, and he doesn't put it into the seats, you are one lucky pitcher. They won't do that twice. Because of that, Bonds "earns" every walk he gets. There's no other hitter in baseball that the opposing manager is ALWAYS happy when he makes it to first base and that's it. IMO, he earns his walks and his home runs.

For me, the umps not calling a strike a strike, and having no inside corner, due to Mlb not backing Barry off the plate and in the box is what gets Barry a lot of walks. Also the lack of lineup protection, which like I said, isn't Barry's fault. In my book, none of that constitutes earning a walk. Just my opinion though. ;-)

Timkell wrote:And like I said, Pujols is MVP!!!

:-D

I agree for now :-D . Still a week left, so we shall see. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby LCBOY » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:01 pm

Will this thread ever die? }:-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:25 pm

jdh wrote:Realistically though, RBIs is the only category where Pujols has any kind of statistical advantage.

And runs. :-D

It was also written in this thread that if Bonds got up as much as Pujols, he would have as many RBI's. If you look at Bonds' career, he wasn't always great at driving in runs. His ratio of RBI/HR isn't that great. Before someone goes and lists his career RBI's, what I mean is that he has played for a long time and obviously has a lot of RBI's but he has less than 3 RBI/HR for his career. This is even magnified recently.

1 thing that no one ever mentions is this aspect of the hole "team" thing. Everyone is so quick to point out that Barry's team is a lock for the playoffs and Albert's isn't and that the Giants would be much worse off without Barry. Maybe so but doesn't it count for anything that the Cards are even sniffing a playoff spot with their staff? That is the worst staff that I have seen in a while and done or not, the fact that it's late September right now and they have been in it speaks volumes for him as a player.
Last edited by Lofunzo on Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:27 pm

LCBOY wrote:Will this thread ever die? }:-)

Probably not :*) . Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers