Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cory Lidle killed in plane crash

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jzfran » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 pm

R.I.P. Cory. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. A terrible story I heard on ESPN is that his wife had (as far they knew) not been notified because she and her son were ona flight somewhere. I must be terrible to get off your plane, look up at the television in the terminal and see your husband's name next to the word "dead". I never would have thought that this crash I saw on tv this afternoon was Lidle. This puts baseball in perspective.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 pm

Even more surreal is that Sweeny Murti, the Yankees beat reporter for WFAN in NY, said that he was talking with Lidle on Sunday about flying. They were talking about the crashes involving Thurman Munson and JFK, Jr. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:05 pm

Have had Corey on a fantasy team or two in the past. Very sorry to hear this.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:51 pm

Cory's parents heard about this by watching TV. His wife and were on a comercial flight to Califonria and did not find out until it landed... This story just keeps getting worse and worse.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby speedy27 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:15 pm

thedude wrote:Cory's parents heard about this by watching TV. His wife and were on a comercial flight to Califonria and did not find out until it landed... This story just keeps getting worse and worse.

no doubt...you'd think they'd inform the family's involved before announcing it to the world! It's a shame...may he RIP.
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:35 pm

Sucks Big Time! :,-(
RIP Cory, God help your family at this time.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -12)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:16 am

speedy27 wrote:
thedude wrote:Cory's parents heard about this by watching TV. His wife and were on a comercial flight to Califonria and did not find out until it landed... This story just keeps getting worse and worse.

no doubt...you'd think they'd inform the family's involved before announcing it to the world! It's a shame...may he RIP.
You'd thinnk.... Guess they didn't want to risk getting "scooped" just because they bothered to have some morals. :-t
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:20 am

Horrible. Just horrible.

RIP Cory. Prayers go out to your family and friends
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:28 am

You just have to HATE the media at a time like this. May your soul rest in peace my friend. And may the media at least feel bad this one time for the travesty and injustice they have done to his poor parents.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:39 am

Yeah, I saw that on the postgame news. Cory's wife's sister had to break the news to her and obviously, she told the media present in the Glendora neighborhood that it was basically heart-wrenching for her to be the one to tell her the awful news. You hate to see something like this happen to anyone, but this is absolutely shocking when something like this happens to someone we all know and can identify with to some extent. Best wishes to Cory's family and friends at such a trying time.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers