Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which line do you want....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which line do you want....

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:57 pm

Ok, I'm in the middle of my OF rankings/projections and I've come up with these two guys......

Player A
.300 20hr 115rbi 110runs 28sb

Player B
.311 38hr 115rbi 95runs 0sb

Without the names getting in the way which player would you want?... shouldn't be too difficult to guess the players, but anyway.

Player A is the guy I have in front but when the names get put in there its harder to do that. Anyway, I'll post the names shortly.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:59 pm

I would take A. Five cat players are hard to come by.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:03 pm

A.
15 R and 28 SB > 11 points in BA and 18 HR.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:07 pm

I'm right with ya guys.

Player A is Bobby Abreu hitting 3rd for that Yankees lineup

Player B is a 35 yr old Manny Ramirez coming off an injury season hitting behind Ortiz who takes RBIs away and never scores alot of runs or steals any bases.

Do you guys take Abreu before Manny?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby acapulco » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:17 pm

I take Abreu before Manny. I'm in a pts league and in that league, Manny has a slightly higher ppg than Abreu but I would guess that Abreu has an edge in total pts. Abreu is more reliable in terms of physical and mental health. Abreu will give you 155--160 games next year. And Manny??
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm

I'd take Manny no doubt. SBs are not very reliable and can easily disappear as players get older.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Yoda wrote:I'd take Manny no doubt. SBs are not very reliable and can easily disappear as players get older.

But hasn't Abreu stolen 20+ bases a year since something like 1950? I take Abreu here, partially because a full season in Yankee Stadium should raise those HR totals as well.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:39 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'd take Manny no doubt. SBs are not very reliable and can easily disappear as players get older.

But hasn't Abreu stolen 20+ bases a year since something like 1950? I take Abreu here, partially because a full season in Yankee Stadium should raise those HR totals as well.

1950? I didn't realize Abreu was 46+ yo... :-D

Generally speaking, players, as they get older slow down. Not saying it will happen right away for Bobby but there is a good chance that he will.

Also, Yankees Stadium is about the same as Citizens for lefties.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby acapulco » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm

I think Yoda's concerns about Abreu's dropping off in SBs are warrented. His hr totals (14) are already way off. And that was done in the Philly launching pad and the Yankee Stadium friendly rf dimensions.

Maybe it's because I live in the sleepy little MA town of Foxboro and I've had a chance to watch and root for Manny the past few years.... Manny being Manny can be exhilerating, but it can also be very disappointing.

Where are all the good solid dependable outfielders we used to count on?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acapulco » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Just checked Abreu's stats: 15 (not 14) hrs this year.

However, since 1998 he has stolen more than 20 bases every year except one (19); he has had an OBP over .400 every year except one (.393); and his slugging average has been over .400 every year (a good number of them over .500). The guy has been consistent. He may lose his power. He hasn't lost his batting eye.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers