Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Teahen's OF eligibility

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Teahen's OF eligibility

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:00 am

From what you guys know now(which is probably much much more than me since I haven't watched a game for quite some times now). What do you think will happen with the Teahen-Gordon situation. The consensus seems to move Teahen to the OF. Particularly LF. But when can we expect that to happen? The Royals can't just throw Teahen out there in LF 2 weeks before Gordon is called up and expect success. So do you expect Teahen to play in the LF in Spring Training and play there sporatically enough to gain OF eligibility 1-2 monthes into the season? And what scenario would you imagine for this to all go down?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:54 am

I really think that Teahen will play LF in spring training and Gordon will so impress the Royals with his play at 3b, that he starts the season off with the big league club. I know the Royals stated that he would go through each step of the minors as a progression, but I think he will be so good this spring that the Royals will have no choice. Plus Teahen is too good of a ball player to jerk around imo between 3b and LF during the season.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Tavish » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

I don't see Teahen making a spot in the OF. The organization has a deep desire to get ABs for Gathright (for some reason I don't quite understand) and that keeps DeJesus playing LF with Brown in RF. Everything finally seemed to be making sense until they resigned Grudzelanik for another season. Moving Teahen to second seemed to be a great idea to free up one of the crowded corner infield spots, but now it looks like the team is right back to where they started with Gordon and Teahen with nowhere to go except 3B, Shealy, Sweeney, and Huber at 1B and all 5 (plus Sanders assuming he isn't traded before the season) fighting over the DH role on other days.

Its getting real frustrating to see the Royals continue to misuse the talent they have are stockpile in the name of trying to prove previous trades weren't awful. I was really hoping that Baird moving on would bring about true change in the organization, but from how everything has sounded from the front office Buddy and Dayton are going to stick with the status quo for another wasted year.

Likely opening day lineup

LF DeJesus
2B Grudz
DH Sweeney
3B Teahen
RF Brown / Sanders
1B Shealy
SS Berroa
C Buck
CF Gathright

What should be the Opening Day lineup

CF DeJesus
2B Teahen
1B Shealy
3B Gordon
LF Brown
SS German
DH Huber
RF Lubanski / Costa
C Buck

Move Sanders, Grudz, Sweeney, Berroa, for whatever you can get be it bullpen arms, a starter, or a catcher. There is simply no depth in the minors in any of the pitching spots and plenty of bats waiting to get some major league time. They would still have developing bats waiting to come up with Butler and Maier.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby J35J » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Tavish wrote:I don't see Teahen making a spot in the OF. The organization has a deep desire to get ABs for Gathright (for some reason I don't quite understand) and that keeps DeJesus playing LF with Brown in RF. Everything finally seemed to be making sense until they resigned Grudzelanik for another season. Moving Teahen to second seemed to be a great idea to free up one of the crowded corner infield spots, but now it looks like the team is right back to where they started with Gordon and Teahen with nowhere to go except 3B, Shealy, Sweeney, and Huber at 1B and all 5 (plus Sanders assuming he isn't traded before the season) fighting over the DH role on other days.

Its getting real frustrating to see the Royals continue to misuse the talent they have are stockpile in the name of trying to prove previous trades weren't awful. I was really hoping that Baird moving on would bring about true change in the organization, but from how everything has sounded from the front office Buddy and Dayton are going to stick with the status quo for another wasted year.

Likely opening day lineup

LF DeJesus
2B Grudz
DH Sweeney
3B Teahen
RF Brown / Sanders
1B Shealy
SS Berroa
C Buck
CF Gathright

What should be the Opening Day lineup

CF DeJesus
2B Teahen
1B Shealy
3B Gordon
LF Brown
SS German
DH Huber
RF Lubanski / Costa
C Buck

Move Sanders, Grudz, Sweeney, Berroa, for whatever you can get be it bullpen arms, a starter, or a catcher. There is simply no depth in the minors in any of the pitching spots and plenty of bats waiting to get some major league time. They would still have developing bats waiting to come up with Butler and Maier.

I would keep Grudz at 2B and move Teahen to LF. Make Brown our DH as he is a terrible OFer and a solid bat. I just don't see Teahen as a ML middle infielder and i don't mind Grudz for 1 more year. Everything else I would agree with!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:11 pm

I think they should move Teahen out of town...particularly to the Cubs (When Aramis leaves).

No matter where Teahen plays next year, I think he could be a solid round 12-14 pick who can pay big dividends especially if he is eligible at 3b/of
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 pm

Is anyone worried about his shoulder?
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:10 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:Is anyone worried about his shoulder?

There really hasn't been any worry around here as of right now. Everyone just assumes everything will be fine come ST. Something to definately keep an eye on though.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby DK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:24 pm

BigZ38 wrote:I think they should move Teahen out of town...particularly to the Cubs (When Aramis leaves).

No matter where Teahen plays next year, I think he could be a solid round 12-14 pick who can pay big dividends especially if he is eligible at 3b/of

Solid point. I did hear the Cubs were interested in him.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:18 am

Could be very diesel, if he gets OF eligibility...

... with the Cubs.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:20 am

The Royals have already alerted Teahen that he is likely to switch from third base to the outfield to accommodate Alex Gordon, picked recently by Baseball America as the 2006 minor-league player of the year. “I think Teahen could play anywhere,” Bell said. “I really do. He’s going to be a good player. We’ve got some flexibility with him.” Teahen expects to spend plenty of time next spring in the outfield. “That was part of the reason to get my shoulder fixed before the end of the season,” he said. “It’s all going to come down to what makes the team better. “I’m sure that (Gordon) will work out there as well. It might come down to who can play best out there because I’ve never played the outfield. I understand that he plays a pretty good third base, but I think I’ve proven myself to be a pretty good major-league third baseman.” Either way, the Royals will find a place for Teahen, who firmly established himself as a cornerstone for the club’s future by batting .313 with 16 homers and 60 RBIs in 86 games after returning from Omaha before opting for season-ending surgery." (Kansas City Star)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Return to Baseball Leftovers