Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yanks pick up Sheffields Option

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:05 pm

I don't know, $13 mil may be a bargain, but I have reason to believe that he'll never play 100 games in a season again. I'm also not sure how long big Stein will put up with the whining; they'll trade him in a second if they can nab a young pitcher or an offensive 1B.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8793
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Borskie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:Remember when the Mets and Yankees were close to a deal for Sheffield? Sheffield went on WFAN and made comments about the Mets due to some grudge he still harbored over alleged mistreatment of Gooden. I think after that happened the chance of Sheffield coming to the Mets was zero.

Nearly three weeks ago Gammon was on ESPN saying that Cashman would pick up Sheffield's option for the sole purpose of blocking him from the Red Sox. At the time I laughed thinking Gammons was dumb but now it seems that he was right. Maybe this will work out for the Yankees although I am not sure how much value Sheffield has at $13M (even with deffered money) at this point in his career. I have no evidence but tell me this doesn't stink of your typical George move. So much for Cashman having full control. :-S


You've got it completely wrong, I think. It's brillant to pick up the option and then get something (anything suffices at this point, really) for Sheff rather than nothing, control where he can go and not have to risk him going to the Red Sox (barring some kind of in-season trade between Boston and the team Sheff goes to). Sheff is very marketable with the $13 mil and part of it being deferred even if he's bitching and moaning right now.This reeks of Cashman having full control, honestly, you give too much credit to the baseball smartness of George. This is the man who paid for dirt on Dave Winfield, HIS OWN PLAYER. If George was still in charge, he would've said good riddance to Sheff and let him walk rather than give him what George considers to be his hard-earned cash. We'd then watch Sheff put on a Boston uniform, kiss Big Papi and talk about how he's going to single-handely pwn Yankee pitching.
Borskie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:43 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Or as retarded as a player who intentionally made errors in order to get himself traded, for that matter.


grrrr..... Don't bring that up.

I hope he rots on the bench.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1863
(Past Year: -16)
Joined: 7 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Finally back home. A sweet 15 mi from Miller Park.

Postby mikekim2121 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:50 pm

Yoda wrote:
mikekim2121 wrote:There is no way the Yankees trade him without absorbing a big chunk of that contract. But its obviously not as big of a problem for the Yankees as it is for most teams.

I think he's as good as gone as this point.


It's only one year so any team would be happy to pay him whatever is remaining for his services. This was a good deal for the Yanks as Shef seems like he was preparing to shop around.


At 13 mill he's still a "bargain" compared to some of this year's FA's but I highly doubt any team will be willing to trade anything of value without the Yanks taking a hit of Sheffield's contract.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 896
(Past Year: -17)
Joined: 4 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NJ

Postby jbauer2485 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Coppermine wrote:I don't know, $13 mil may be a bargain, but I have reason to believe that he'll never play 100 games in a season again. I'm also not sure how long big Stein will put up with the whining; they'll trade him in a second if they can nab a young pitcher or an offensive 1B.


Why do you think he won't play 100 games in a season again? If he didn't have that freak accident at first base he would have easily played a full season. I doubt he would break down so suddenly.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1561
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:20 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I don't know, $13 mil may be a bargain, but I have reason to believe that he'll never play 100 games in a season again. I'm also not sure how long big Stein will put up with the whining; they'll trade him in a second if they can nab a young pitcher or an offensive 1B.


Why do you think he won't play 100 games in a season again? If he didn't have that freak accident at first base he would have easily played a full season. I doubt he would break down so suddenly.


Oh, I admit it's more of a hunch than anything. That said, he's at an age (38) where a season limiting injury like that can carry over. Then again, he could bounce back and play in over 150 games like he always has.

In any case, if I were a Sheffield fantasy owner, I'd sell.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8793
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Kurtangletn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Kurtangletn wrote:Edit- and I think its still retarded that the Yankees or any organization for that matter, thinks they can get a player and then say "You play a position you are not used to or we're taking your paycheck"


Almost as retarded as a player saying that he won't allow himself to be traded, even though he has no clause in his contract to prevent it.

Or as retarded as a player who intentionally made errors in order to get himself traded, for that matter.
Yeah, I agree. Hes a moron.

But still, I can see both sides.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 538
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:42 am

Kurtangletn wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Kurtangletn wrote:Edit- and I think its still retarded that the Yankees or any organization for that matter, thinks they can get a player and then say "You play a position you are not used to or we're taking your paycheck"


Almost as retarded as a player saying that he won't allow himself to be traded, even though he has no clause in his contract to prevent it.

Or as retarded as a player who intentionally made errors in order to get himself traded, for that matter.
Yeah, I agree. Hes a moron.

But still, I can see both sides.


Um, no one is forcing these guys to play major league baseball. If they don't want to, well then walk away. If you do want to, however, you do what your company tells you to do.

Just because something isn't in your job description doesn't mean you get to stop and say no. The Yankees pay Sheffield, Sheffield doesn't pay them. Can't say I was really suprised by Sheff's comments though, because it's well, Gary Sheffield.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1978
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting on the steps of Busch Stadium

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:52 am

RAmst23 wrote:
Kurtangletn wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Kurtangletn wrote:Edit- and I think its still retarded that the Yankees or any organization for that matter, thinks they can get a player and then say "You play a position you are not used to or we're taking your paycheck"


Almost as retarded as a player saying that he won't allow himself to be traded, even though he has no clause in his contract to prevent it.

Or as retarded as a player who intentionally made errors in order to get himself traded, for that matter.
Yeah, I agree. Hes a moron.

But still, I can see both sides.


Um, no one is forcing these guys to play major league baseball. If they don't want to, well then walk away. If you do want to, however, you do what your company tells you to do.

Just because something isn't in your job description doesn't mean you get to stop and say no. The Yankees pay Sheffield, Sheffield doesn't pay them. Can't say I was really suprised by Sheff's comments though, because it's well, Gary Sheffield.


The most ridiculous thing about it is...

Sheff won't even let the Yankees trade him. He doesn't want to play 1st base, so if they Yankees try to send him to another team so he doesn't have to play 1st base, he refuses.

He's just a moron.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11623
(Past Year: -296)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:21 am

This has more posts than yesterday's WS game.

Go Yankees! :-b
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11253
(Past Year: -255)
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron