Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bill Hall....what say you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:58 am

As Bill Hall the Milwaukee Brewer, I love him.

As a fantasy player in 2007, I'm torn.

On the one hand, you have a guy who is just now hitting his prime. He did this as a 26 year old, will be 27 next year, and figures to quite possibly be getting better yet. His OBP has risen every year. Yes, his Ks went up, but so did his walks. And a closer look at his month to month splits shows that his August OBP was .381 and September was .400, despite averages below .300. So not only has he improved year to year, but his discipline improved throughout last season too. This lends credence to the idea that he could still be improving yet. Further, he's been told (supposedly) that he will be an everyday starter next year regardless of the roster composition. Factor in that he provides power at a non-power position, and that the lineup around him should be improved (if nothing else 3 injured infielders will be back), and he seems like a great pick.

However, he lost positional eligibility this year. He was so close to picking up 2B and CF, but Hardy's injury pre-empted that. So he loses a little there. Plus, I think people might finally recognize how good he is, and I won't be able to let him slide before picking him. He might become a little overrated, fantasy wise.

I will give these projections for him:

32 HR
90 RBI
85 Runs
10 SB

Not too dissimilar from this season. While he could improve yet, I just have a hard time saying he'll make that jump to 40 HR/100 RBI. I don't think he'll top 35 HR in his career, but who knows.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am

I like him, but am not high on him due to the K/BB ratio and his K/AB, not to mention that he has enough of a platoon split to justify putting him in a super utility role next year (as was planned this year).

However, the power is legit and I see no reason he won't be double digit steals, so 25 HR and 15 SB with an average around .270 would be my guess.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:25 pm

I like Hall. Lots of power. 39 doubles and 35 homers is nothing to ignore. And it didn't come from nowhere since he was following up a 39 double and 17 HR season. His average isn't going to be the greatest, but he at least looks like he's starting to take a few more walks. His defense isn't anything to rave about, but he's versatile. Milwaukee would be foolish if they didn't have him playing almost everyday, regardless of what role he's in.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:09 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I like Hall. Lots of power. 39 doubles and 35 homers is nothing to ignore. And it didn't come from nowhere since he was following up a 39 double and 17 HR season. His average isn't going to be the greatest, but he at least looks like he's starting to take a few more walks. His defense isn't anything to rave about, but he's versatile. Milwaukee would be foolish if they didn't have him playing almost everyday, regardless of what role he's in.

I agree. He will put up some very good numbers especially from the SS position. I don't see how the Brewers can not play him every day even if they have to play him at 3 or 4 positions. His bat should be in the lineup and I think his numbers will be as good as they were this year.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
mcqfesijiba wrote:I like Hall. Lots of power. 39 doubles and 35 homers is nothing to ignore. And it didn't come from nowhere since he was following up a 39 double and 17 HR season. His average isn't going to be the greatest, but he at least looks like he's starting to take a few more walks. His defense isn't anything to rave about, but he's versatile. Milwaukee would be foolish if they didn't have him playing almost everyday, regardless of what role he's in.

I agree. He will put up some very good numbers especially from the SS position. I don't see how the Brewers can not play him every day even if they have to play him at 3 or 4 positions. His bat should be in the lineup and I think his numbers will be as good as they were this year.

I agree. My hope (cross fingers) is that they play him in CF. He can certainly handle it with his range and big arm, and he made argubly the Brewers best "web gem" of the year out there this year (a sliding backwards over the shoulder catch). Then he'd pick up CF eligibility (for those leagues in which it matters) along with SS, and his power becomes quite valuable.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:14 pm

I personally love Billy, but the PT really is a big issue. I'm skeptical of what Hardy can do since he was out all of last season, but obviously management loves him. Who can blame them? Still I think Hall will have a permanent spot in the lineup based on the numbers he has put up in this last season as well as the end of '05.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Smee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 am

Where do we see Hall playing? Last year before Hardy got injured, Hall would play everyday though usually at a different position. I imagine that he'll do the same this year, but I don't think it would be out of the question to see him spend a bit of time at 3B or CF becuase both of those positions are fielded by substandard players. Koskie is injury prone and Clark's coming off of a pretty dismal year.

I think it's also a possibility that Hall picks up 2B eligability, him starting 5 games isn't out of the question.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sockeye » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:45 pm

I became a de-facto Brewers "fan" last year after drafting Hall in 2 keeper leagues and signing him long-term in one (in which I also inherited Hardy). To me, I am not really worried too much about PT - the Brewers lineup situation doesn;t seem a whole lot more set than it was last year (Koskie/Hardy/Weeks were all lined up), and he turned out to be used so much on the IF that I think he even lost OF eligibility.

It really seems like Brewers know they have something good in him, and will find a way to get him ABs. Plus, he seems like an offensive upgrade over their alternatives at every position he could play (except perhaps 2B).

I now have more worries about whether he'll regain position elig than about PT. The Brewers have enough question marks that odds are really good for Hall to end up with much PT somewhere.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:18 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/in...?id=529737

Early conjecture here (from Melvin himself) is that Hall will be in LF next year. Apparently he played the whole USA/Japan all star thing in the OF, and Melvin was pleased.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers