Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Gold Glove Winners....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:07 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:Not trying to be a homer but where are the Red Sox players? Best fielding percentage in the league and no gold glove winners?

Fielding % means little. RedSox have no range. They are not a good defensive team.

I shouldn't have said they aren't a good defensive team. But they are highly overrated going by fielding % which they were 1st in.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 am

gfantasy wrote:
nsulham wrote:Derek Jeter had a phenomenal season and will probably win another award or two.

Gold Glove shouldn't have been one of them.

Dude...who is a better SS than Jeter? Honestly?!

Glove wise, alot of guys. 17 ss had higher defensive win shares then Jeter. This was only the 2nd time in Jeters career he's been plus in FRAA.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 am

The award should be held as meaningless as it is clear that the awards are mailed in by the voters, every once and awhile throwing out a new face to mix things up.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mikekim2121 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:02 am

I think the fact that Ellis didn't play the full season hurt his chances.

I think Lowell definitely could've deserved it. So could've Alex Gonzalez.

I also like Crede a lot in the field and I think its pretty much a toss up between him and Chavez.

gfantasy wrote:
nsulham wrote:Derek Jeter had a phenomenal season and will probably win another award or two.

Gold Glove shouldn't have been one of them.

Dude...who is a better SS than Jeter? Honestly?!

Off the top of my head, Betancourt, Alex Gonzalez, and Uribe. Its a crude list but there are probably many more.

Among mainstream baseball people, Jeter is known as a good glove but the majority of the internet baseball fans know better. He makes flashy plays but also makes a lot of mistakes out there. Unfortunately for me, I've seen thousands of Yanks games in my life and he seems to make routine plays harder than they have to be.

For example if a grounder is hit towards the third base side, he'll usually grab it and then throw while he's jumping towards the third base side, even when its unnecessary. He could just plant his foot and toss it but it wouldn't be Jeteresque.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:59 am

gold gloves are the dumbest awards in all of sports. if there was a group of voters who watched every single position player play his position and then they voted for the best, i wouldnt mind it. now it's managers and coaches, like they give a crap.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby FalcoAtL » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:36 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:gold gloves are the dumbest awards in all of sports. if there was a group of voters who watched every single position player play his position and then they voted for the best, i wouldnt mind it. now it's managers and coaches, like they give a crap.

Why wouldn't they care? Why is it obvious that they don't care? If you are going to pick a group to vote, then they are definitely the best choice. They obviously understand the game more than the average person and appreciate the intricacies of each play that is made. The route the player took, the way he fielded a hit and so on...
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:59 am

FalcoAtL wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:gold gloves are the dumbest awards in all of sports. if there was a group of voters who watched every single position player play his position and then they voted for the best, i wouldnt mind it. now it's managers and coaches, like they give a crap.

Why wouldn't they care? Why is it obvious that they don't care? If you are going to pick a group to vote, then they are definitely the best choice. They obviously understand the game more than the average person and appreciate the intricacies of each play that is made. The route the player took, the way he fielded a hit and so on...

instead of me regurgitating info, here's a link that i agree with;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/09/17/beat_goldgloves/
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:17 am

Jeter shouldn't have won.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:30 am

FalcoAtL wrote:

Mgrs have alot more things to worry about then putting much input into Gold Gloves. It's probably the worst award given out. But i have to agree those 28 games Palmeiro played that year, he took a good route. Peralta and A Gonzalez aren't known names. They both were far better then Jeter this year. Granderson was probably the best OF, but Ichiro/Hunter won.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers