Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:04 pm

greenandgold wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:Id like to see Everret get it one of these years, he's as solid as they come at SS.

You'll probably have to wait until Vizquel goes back to the AL or retires - he seems to have a lock on it.

Omar is becoming maybe the most overrated ss in history. Everett blew him out of the water. Not even close. Omar was at 0 in FRAA. There were 8 higher ss in NL with more defensive win shares. Omar wins another undeserved GG, just like last year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Old_Style » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 pm

i would've liked to see yadier win it but i think he'll get his fair share in the future. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:12 pm

How did Yadier not win a gold glove? That makes sense. Anyway, nice to see Pujols get his first.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 pm

Isn't it Gold Glove, not Gold Arm? But yeah, I see the point.

I think fielding percentage is the biggest indicator:

NL C FPCT:

Ausmus: .998
Molina: .995
Schneider: .993

Ausmus, in his defense, had the best FPCT of all MLB catchers. Pudge, Pierzynski and Mauer all had better averages than Yadie.

But then there are other factors: Ausmus logged nearly 100 more innings than Molina with 929 putout to Molina's 733.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:55 pm

I'm just curious and don't really wanna go into the stats but was Pujols really the best defensive 1B in the NL?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:01 am

Havok1517 wrote:I'm just curous and don't really wanna go into the stats but was Pujols really the best 1B in the NL?

Technically; no...

NL 1B FPCT:

Helton: .997
Garciaparra: .996
Hatteberg: .996
Pujols: .996
LaRoche: .996

Helton had the most putouts, least errors, most double-plays, and most innings played.

Pujols had the most assists, but was second to Adrien Gonzalez, who sported a .995 FPCT.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 am

Coppermine wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I'm just curous and don't really wanna go into the stats but was Pujols really the best 1B in the NL?

Technically; no...

NL 1B FPCT:

Helton: .997
Garciaparra: .996
Hatteberg: .996
Pujols: .996
LaRoche: .996

Helton had the most putouts, least errors, most double-plays, and most innings played.

Pujols had the most assists, but was second to Adrien Gonzalez, who sported a .995 FPCT.

So Pujols didn't deserve the gold glove either.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:26 am

Coppermine wrote:Isn't it Gold Glove, not Gold Arm? But yeah, I see the point.

I think fielding percentage is the biggest indicator:

NL C FPCT:

Ausmus: .998
Molina: .995
Schneider: .993

Ausmus, in his defense, had the best FPCT of all MLB catchers. Pudge, Pierzynski and Mauer all had better averages than Yadie.

But then there are other factors: Ausmus logged nearly 100 more innings than Molina with 929 putout to Molina's 733.

FPCT might be important in the eyes of the voters but in real baseball terms it doesn't carry that much weight. I do think the difference in innings is important but not the putouts. Catchers get a PO for every SO. Yadi had 2 more errors and 6 more PB while Ausmus allowed 23 more SB and caught 12 less. I really don't see how anyone can tell me that Ausmus was the best defense catcher in the NL this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:28 am

I have a few thoughts about this:

Good for Pujols. He deserved it, he is really becoming a fantastic defensive player.

Rolen was great in the field all year, he deserved it as well.

Yadier did get robbed, and there's no way Ausmus should have gotten it. I heard this somewhere (cant remember where)- catchers who can't hit worth a crap are usually blindly accepted as great defensive catchers, when they are actually awful defensivley as well. I agree with this statement, Ausmus cannot hit and his fielding is average, but for some reason most believe hes a superb fielder. This is wrong; Yadier should be the Gold Glove winner, hes one of the best defensive catchers I've ever seen (up there with Matheny) and he's still very young.

Edit:

Also, I forgot to mention that it is my belief that win shares are the most worthless stats created. How can you actually statistically show the importance of a player to their team? I think this stat is just stupid and shouldn't be brought up in any argument.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers