Return to Baseball Leftovers

Team Financial Information

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Team Financial Information

Postby Half Massed » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:38 am

I have to write a paper evaluating the finances of my favorite baseball team. However, most of this information (concessions revenue, tv contracts, travel costs, etc.) isn't released by the team. Most of it is so hush-hush that journalists don't even have an idea other than in comparison to other teams.

So I was wondering if anybody knew of any websites or sources where any kind of currentish (2005 or 2006) information at all would be available?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:44 am

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure if this helps but it does give payroll and team worth info.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:53 am

Who is your audience/grade level for the paper? There is an economics professor at Smith College by the name of Andrew Zimbalist who has unearthed tons of economic data, and is an award winning economist with a huge jones for baseball.

Also, you can check out his books in a library:
"Baseball and Billions : A Probing Look inside the Big Business of our national Pastime"

Since major elague baseball teams are not publicly owned companies, they absolutly NEVER issue quarterly financials like a company on an exchange, or publish cash on hand, expenses, or anything of that nature. Once you realize that, you've won half the fight.

Good Luck.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby mak1277 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:06 am

The bigger problem here is that even if you could get the financials for the team, it wouldn't be a complete picture. There are tons of legal "games" the ownership can play with revenue allocation. One example:

Owners will have one legal entity for the "team" and a separate for the "arena". All or part of the revenue generated by the luxury boxes will be shown on the financials of the arena and not on the team's financials. This allows the owner to show a paper loss (or smaller gain) for the team.

Reality, though, says that you'll never get your hands on any meaningful data, unless you have a hook to the team itself.

I believe the Forbes magazine does some work on pro franchises though, putting together estimated valuations, although I don't know what all goes into their models.

Good luck.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:19 am

One thing the Braves did for quite a long time was sell the broadcasting rights to Braves games to TBS for a far lower value than they were estimated being worth. Since they were part of the same company, this both boosted TBS's revenue (by lowering their costs) and made the revenue for the Braves look smaller than it should have.

As for estimating income data, etc., there are a couple of ways you can do it. One simple (but very crude) method would be to look at the total number of tickets sold and multiply by the average (perhaps the median?) ticket price. For concessions, you could estimate the sales by looking at how much of each supply (ie, hot dogs) the stadium purchased. 'Course, that's a lot of data to get with all the product differentiation stadiums have these days.

Like others have said, I doubt you're going to find any definitive, itemized lists of revenues and costs of MLB teams. Your best bet is to look for work that others have done estimating this sort of thing.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 am

I would use Forbes' values and estimations. They are a respected source that you can cite. They have done all the work as far as estimating gate receipts, total income, operating expenses, etc.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:20 pm

forbes is probably the best current info you can get. doug pappas did a lot of work on baseball finances but that isnt really current (he died in 2004). you can find some of it here and here
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby greenandgold » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:48 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:forbes is probably the best current info you can get. doug pappas did a lot of work on baseball finances but that isnt really current (he died in 2004). you can find some of it here and here

Wow, I didn't know so many clubs were just losing money. This really puts the rumored contraction of the twins into perspective too -

As an extreme example, in 2000 the Minnesota Twins received $21 million from the revenue-sharing pool--$5 million more than the salaries paid to their entire 25-man roster. Not surprisingly, they turned a profit... and not surprisingly, their brethren eventually concluded it would be cheaper to contract the Twins than to continue subsidizing their parasitic billionaire owner. If revenue sharing is ever to serve its intended purpose of making small-market clubs more competitive, recipients must be required to reinvest the proceeds in their team.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Half Massed » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:17 pm

It's for my freshman college course: Baseball in America. I'm well aware of the lack of actual information out there, but I was having trouble finding even decent estimates about things like local tv contracts or parking revenue. The point of the paper is to analyze our favorite team's financial situation and recommend what we could do to make our team more profitable. The problem with information I can find (such as Doug Pappa's real info on baseballprospectus from 2001) is that market value of the team has changed.

Everyone knows about the trouble of finding information and is doing the best they can. I was just wondering if anyone here had any insight or know-how about a site that relates to this that I may have missed.

Thanks for the sites so far though. ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby Sandman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:53 pm

Half Massed wrote:It's for my freshman college course: Baseball in America.

Wish they had that here in Auburn.
Sandman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers