Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees to waste more money on old injured people!! Sweet!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:42 pm

For only one year, I'd do it if the price was half way reasonable.

Pettitte is on the downside for sure, but he could be a worthwhile risk for only one year. Clemens of course is the jewel of it all. Without Clemens, Pettitte's not worth the risk, but I feel like it has to be a package deal to land Clemens.

They could stopgap with Moose for a year, until Hughes, Clippard, Rasner(?) Karstens(?) are ready.

Had Clemens and Pettitte not pitched so well for them in the past, I'm sure I wouldn't be for this, so I guess I'm missing the glory days.

As far a Pettitte, he's an injury risk yes, but he's still managed to pitch 200+ innings the last two years. If he could give them innings (which Wright can't) and post an ERA around 4, that should be good enough and he does have the postseason experience and success to help them where they've had the most problems- starting pitching in the postseason.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:34 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Moose is a choke artist and STILL(!!!) has never won 20 in a season.

I want Andy back. And screw Clemens.

too bad Andy wants to retire...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby The Big Stick » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:44 pm

Jason, Shef, Roger and Andy can all have a big steriod party. Why are the Yanks looking at these guys? With all the young talent in baseball. I for one am ready to see a new guy proove himself. Time to let Hughes and Wang take over the rotation.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -39)

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:56 pm

blankman wrote:For only one year, I'd do it if the price was half way reasonable.

Pettitte is on the downside for sure, but he could be a worthwhile risk for only one year. Clemens of course is the jewel of it all. Without Clemens, Pettitte's not worth the risk, but I feel like it has to be a package deal to land Clemens.

They could stopgap with Moose for a year, until Hughes, Clippard, Rasner(?) Karstens(?) are ready.

Had Clemens and Pettitte not pitched so well for them in the past, I'm sure I wouldn't be for this, so I guess I'm missing the glory days.

As far a Pettitte, he's an injury risk yes, but he's still managed to pitch 200+ innings the last two years. If he could give them innings (which Wright can't) and post an ERA around 4, that should be good enough and he does have the postseason experience and success to help them where they've had the most problems- starting pitching in the postseason.

My question is this:

If Andy Pettitte posts a 4.2 1.44 era/whip combo in the NL, what is the liklihood that he lowers his ratios in coming to the AL East, with a vastly improved Toronto club that mashes and has more $$ to spend thi syear, and a TB offense that has always had some swagger?

That could be very ugly

Pettitte AL East prediction :
13Ws
4.97 ERA
1.55 WHIP
150 Ks

ugh!
Why bother?
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:58 am

I heard the Cubs are interested.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby blankman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:18 am

thomasps3 wrote:
blankman wrote:For only one year, I'd do it if the price was half way reasonable.

My question is this:

If Andy Pettitte posts a 4.2 1.44 era/whip combo in the NL, what is the liklihood that he lowers his ratios in coming to the AL East, with a vastly improved Toronto club that mashes and has more $$ to spend thi syear, and a TB offense that has always had some swagger?

That could be very ugly

Pettitte AL East prediction :
13Ws
4.97 ERA
1.55 WHIP
150 Ks

ugh!
Why bother?

If you base everything off of simply what happened last year you've got a lot to learn. How about his previous year? Is that irrelevant?

Obviously he can improve on last year's performance and he even did so in the second half.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:20 am

The Big Stick wrote:Jason, Shef, Roger and Andy can all have a big steriod party. Why are the Yanks looking at these guys? With all the young talent in baseball. I for one am ready to see a new guy proove himself. Time to let Hughes and Wang take over the rotation.

Two pitchers can't take over the rotation. You still need 3 more pitchers and Hughes probably isn't even ready yet. Midseason is what I've been hearing about him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Cow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:02 am

The Yanks do like to throw money at older players. I am still wondering why the Yanks signed Sheffield instead of Vlad a few years ago. They could have had either and chose Shef. Who is better now?? Well and then for that matter.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:07 am

The Cow wrote:The Yanks do like to throw money at older players. I am still wondering why the Yanks signed Sheffield instead of Vlad a few years ago. They could have had either and chose Shef. Who is better now?? Well and then for that matter.

The Cow

I believe Vlad really liked the Angels. I believe Baltimore outbid the Angels for Vlad so money wasn't the only factor.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers