Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bud Black hired as SD Manager

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Hmm, I thought the A's would grab Bud Black. At least he's been taken from the Angels, and that was a big reason for the A's to go after him. Maybe they'll sign Hillman from the Rangers. Anyways, good signing by the Pads. Getting Black out of the Angels' hands was a good move no matter who got him.

If they get Orel, I am totally fine with this. Hatcher is the Angels problem, why doesn't anyone want him? :-D

I doubt they go for Orel. If anyone from the Rangers, I'd say Hillman. Very player-oriented.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:28 am

LMAO ..

Is there somebody really running around with an Endy Chavez fan club signature? That just kills me ... :-b

anyways, nice signing .. exactly the guy I wanted. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:08 am

Lol. Finally came out of hiding after the Padres ducked the Dusty Baker bullet. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 am

wrveres wrote:LMAO ..

Is there somebody really running around with an Endy Chavez fan club signature? That just kills me ... :-b

anyways, nice signing .. exactly the guy I wanted. ;-D

Since he is your guy, any idea what type of manager he will be?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby gfantasy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 pm

Amazinz wrote:Lol. Finally came out of hiding after the Padres ducked the Dusty Baker bullet. :-D

PHEW! Dusty does NOT deserve a job .
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Maybe I need to put this into context... I don't care for Dusty Baker but I would cherish the opportunity to rib Wrveres about Baker managing in San Diego.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:49 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Since he is your guy, any idea what type of manager he will be?

in a word, Moneyball.
He is supposed to be very statistic savy, and a solid players manager. I am a tad concerned that he becomes a lackey for the front office controlling things on the field versus the manager making the actual decisions, but time will tell I guess. I think this hiring is more a Sandy Alderson hiring versus a Kevin Towers hiring, but KT is the front man in most of these types of things. If it becomes a situation where KT is calling the day to day shots on the field, we are in trouble ...

Amazinz wrote:Lol. Finally came out of hiding after the Padres ducked the Dusty Baker bullet. :-D

I know Dusty is not very popular because of the bashing he took in the Chicago papers over the years, but I still think he is a solid manager. He is just not a fit for San Diego at this time. He is more in the mold of the manager we just let walk where as he relys to heavily the vets almost to a fualt.

When it comes to Dusty, had Steve Bartman had the flu, or even stayed home on that fateful day 3 years ago, Chicago would have been regarded him as a hero, even to this day. Heck all you have to do is look at that jack ass they have running they crew across town to realize that.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am

wrveres wrote:When it comes to Dusty, had Steve Bartman had the flu, or even stayed home on that fateful day 3 years ago, Chicago would have been regarded him as a hero, even to this day. Heck all you have to do is look at that jack ass they have running they crew across town to realize that.

Blame Bartman :-t
Blame the SS that botched the easy DP after that. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers