Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wade Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:27 pm

A lot of people said that Miller signing was good when Red Sox got him. Then the Cubs last season. And now again this season? Come on guys.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gfantasy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:27 pm

I don't really think that it's a HORRIBLE signing. The guy was a good pitcher when healthy. Think of it this way...as a 3 man (healthy, obviously.) there's no much better out there...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:35 pm

gfantasy wrote:I don't really think that it's a HORRIBLE signing. The guy was a good pitcher when healthy. Think of it this way...as a 3 man (healthy, obviously.) there's no much better out there...

When was the last time he was good? Or healthy? Or both?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:36 pm

I personally think the quality of this signing depends on the moves the Cubs make from here on out. If they don't have 6-7 healthy, capable starters on their roster when the season starts, then this is a poor signing because it means they are relying on Miller to be effective. If they signed him purely as a gravy pitcher...meaning, whatever he can give them is just gravy...then I actually quite like the signing. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby gfantasy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:52 pm

slomo007 wrote:I personally think the quality of this signing depends on the moves the Cubs make from here on out. If they don't have 6-7 healthy, capable starters on their roster when the season starts, then this is a poor signing because it means they are relying on Miller to be effective. If they signed him purely as a gravy pitcher...meaning, whatever he can give them is just gravy...then I actually quite like the signing. ;-D

I guess that's the assumption I made. I think Pinella will have at least 6 SP ready for the season. I cant see any way that no insurance was taken into consideration with this teams staff's health record.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:I personally think the quality of this signing depends on the moves the Cubs make from here on out. If they don't have 6-7 healthy, capable starters on their roster when the season starts, then this is a poor signing because it means they are relying on Miller to be effective. If they signed him purely as a gravy pitcher...meaning, whatever he can give them is just gravy...then I actually quite like the signing. ;-D

This is my thought process as well. I do like the Miller signing IF he isn't expected to throw 190+ innings. Can't judge the signing yet, but it's on the positive side of things right now IMO.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 pm

BigLebowski wrote:

This is my thought process as well. I do like the Miller signing IF he isn't expected to throw 190+ innings. Can't judge the signing yet, but it's on the positive side of things right now IMO.

i'll be happy with 120
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby eightball61 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:27 pm

I really like this guy. He did have a lot of potential but had a set-back because of the surgery. He is only 30 and has some time to shine. I think the Cubs made a smart move here because when he did come back in 2006 he showed some signs that he still has his stuff. I bet he'll be up in the running for comeback player of the year in 2007.
eightball61
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Joe LaCock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:20 pm

BigLebowski wrote:

I agree with many of your posts. If the Cubs sign another ace (Zito?) and maybe a strong 3 (Lily?) with Zambrano, Hill, and then an assortment of Prior, Miller, and some of their other youngsters, then the Miller signing will be wise. But I predict that the Cubs will just miss out on Zito, then sign a Lily and have Prior and Miller as 3 and 4. With the money the Cubs gross with all their sucker fans and high prices, they should not be cheap! But you watch..... Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:21 pm

eightball61 wrote:I really like this guy. He did have a lot of potential but had a set-back because of the surgery. He is only 30 and has some time to shine. I think the Cubs made a smart move here because when he did come back in 2006 he showed some signs that he still has his stuff. I bet he'll be up in the running for comeback player of the year in 2007.

I'd like to see that, cause I like the guy, but I really don't see that happening. If it does great, but not a very good chance it does.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers