Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edgar Renteria question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edgar Renteria question

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 am

So he's enjoyed a bounce back season in 2006 from the horrible 2005. He's 31. I think he's signed until 2009. How many more years as a above average fantasy SS do you see him being?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 am

Braves fan here and very happy with him so far, However I see 1 more year as a really good SS. Then 1-2 as a average one then when his legs start to give he will drop, and when he does we will replace him with our future shortstop Andres?!? A young kid we got papers for to prove he was 17 :) and snuck into the country.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 am

CadensDad wrote:Braves fan here and very happy with him so far, However I see 1 more year as a really good SS. Then 1-2 as a average one then when his legs start to give he will drop, and when he does we will replace him with our future shortstop Andres?!? A young kid we got papers for to prove he was 17 :) and snuck into the country.

You mean Elvis Andrus? The Braves also have Escobar tearing up the fall league. I think they will trade one of them for some pitching at some point.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:21 am

Renteria is signed through 2008. Not sure there's a 2009 option (hadn't read that there was).

Escobar likely hits AAA in 2007 with Andrus at high-A. Based on how Elvis does, I think that decides whether Escobar is traded in the off-season next year or kept. If Andrus plays well such that he's in AA/AAA in 2008 (Renteria's last year), then I think Escobar is traded and Andrus is groomed for 2009.

If not, then I think Escobar is given the shot in 2009 while Andrus gets more minor league time.

As for Renteria, I think what you saw last year is what you'll get for the next 3-4 years with a slight drop each year. Don't think his skill set is one that will drop rapidly. Double digit HR and SB with an average in the .280-.290 range.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby pokeyjoe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:08 am

I think Renteria will give you a guaranteed .280 or so with 15 home runs and 20 Sbs for a few years, but the Braves aren't going to just let those prospects sit there.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Chief Noc-A-Homa » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:20 am

As everbody knows Cox won't hesitate to play a prospect, but as long as Renteria continues to produce steady offensive numbers and provide solid D he won't be supplanted anytime soon (next 2-3 years).
Chief Noc-A-Homa
College Coach
College Coach

Location: In a teepee near you smokin' a peace pipe and talkin' trades.

Postby Old_Style » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:23 am

i'll say renteria has a 15/15 season with a .285 average and 90 runs scored.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Return to Baseball Leftovers