Foulke a free agent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Foulke a free agent

Postby stomperrob » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:27 pm

From today's paper:

November 10, 2006
Foulke to go free
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff
Keith Foulke has decided to test the free-agent market, turning down an option to stay with the Sox for $3.75 million.

The Sox had declined their team option on Foulke earlier this week, which guaranteed the closer a $1.5 million buyout. He could have an additional $3.75 if he had opted to stay in Boston.

Instead, he will go on the free agent market.

"I know a lot of guys who say it isn't about the money but Keith just backs that up,'' his agent Dan Horwits said. "He wants to pitch closer to home and hopefully he will have that chance."

Foulke, 34, makes his off-season home in Arizona.

Foulke had 32 saves in 2004 when the Sox won the World Series but his numbers fell off in the last two season as he was bothered by a knee and elbow injuries.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Foulke a free agent

Postby Old_Style » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:40 am

stomperrob wrote:From today's paper:

November 10, 2006
Foulke to go free
By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff
Keith Foulke has decided to test the free-agent market, turning down an option to stay with the Sox for $3.75 million.

The Sox had declined their team option on Foulke earlier this week, which guaranteed the closer a $1.5 million buyout. He could have an additional $3.75 if he had opted to stay in Boston.

Instead, he will go on the free agent market.

"I know a lot of guys who say it isn't about the money but Keith just backs that up,'' his agent Dan Horwits said. "He wants to pitch closer to home and hopefully he will have that chance."

Foulke, 34, makes his off-season home in Arizona.

Foulke had 32 saves in 2004 when the Sox won the World Series but his numbers fell off in the last two season as he was bothered by a knee and elbow injuries.

seeing how foulkes last two seasons were abysmal at best, he should be happy to be on a major league ball club next season. i'm sure if he was a top closer, he wouldn't give arizona the light of day.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:27 pm

He likely won't get a chance to close again unless there is a team is extremely deseperate. His shining momments are over.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:55 pm

Agree. He likely has to take a job as MR. Only chance at closing is if the team who signs him has closer issues and gives him a chance based on how he's pitching and his history.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Baseball Leftovers