Return to Baseball Leftovers

oh how I LOATHE Grady Little

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:39 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:I agree that Grady over managed the game, but I also blame Manny and Ortiz for notgetting the hits...as a matter of fact not get any hits...thats a joke, we had the man up..Manny, right when we needed him each and every time and got jack from it...thats clutch?

Well to make matter worse, it was announced today that "Forrest" is starting Jackson and Kapler tomorrow instead of Walker and Nixon....and Pedro won't pitch until games 5 "if ness".....and I use "if ness" very loosely....

I also say if we are gona lose I do hope the Yanks go down quick, because the Sox will wait till Torre gets caned...then same hour Forrest" will be caned, and Torre will be in a Sox uniform....



i think you guys have to cut ortiz and manny some slack. they are great baseball players, but they are human beings. grady little as well. however, i think he will be fired if they get swept, and maybe willie randolph? will finally get a job.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:49 am

Dazedncnfz wrote:I agree that Grady over managed the game, but I also blame Manny and Ortiz for notgetting the hits...as a matter of fact not get any hits...thats a joke, we had the man up..Manny, right when we needed him each and every time and got jack from it...thats clutch?

Well to make matter worse, it was announced today that "Forrest" is starting Jackson and Kapler tomorrow instead of Walker and Nixon....and Pedro won't pitch until games 5 "if ness".....and I use "if ness" very loosely....

I also say if we are gona lose I do hope the Yanks go down quick, because the Sox will wait till Torre gets caned...then same hour Forrest" will be caned, and Torre will be in a Sox uniform....


Agreed. Grady messed up, but the blame resides squarely on Manny. The top RBI man on baseball fails three times to get a hit with men on? Geez. There goes 20 mil.

And, DK, you can't go easy on your top players in the playoffs. You need them to produce.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7088
(Past Year: -93)
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby DK » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:26 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:I agree that Grady over managed the game, but I also blame Manny and Ortiz for notgetting the hits...as a matter of fact not get any hits...thats a joke, we had the man up..Manny, right when we needed him each and every time and got jack from it...thats clutch?

Well to make matter worse, it was announced today that "Forrest" is starting Jackson and Kapler tomorrow instead of Walker and Nixon....and Pedro won't pitch until games 5 "if ness".....and I use "if ness" very loosely....

I also say if we are gona lose I do hope the Yanks go down quick, because the Sox will wait till Torre gets caned...then same hour Forrest" will be caned, and Torre will be in a Sox uniform....


Agreed. Grady messed up, but the blame resides squarely on Manny. The top RBI man on baseball fails three times to get a hit with men on? Geez. There goes 20 mil.

And, DK, you can't go easy on your top players in the playoffs. You need them to produce.



very true...but i mean, you're getting mad at them as if you're the guy in charge, as if they're robots who should do it all. no offense, that's all i'm sayin'.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby PresHabib » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:26 pm

Haha, I started this thread and im just NOW responding?

Anyway, Trans, you make some good points in your rebuttal. Trot is horrid agaisnt lefties. I think theres a difference thuogh, between Barry Zito or Randy Johnson or Billy Wagner...and Rincardo Rincon..who by the way had just given up 3 straight hits. And you are right, the WORST part of that is definitely putting in Adrian Brown. No excuse for that. I would have been mad if he had put Kapler in for Nixon anyway, but knowing how I felt about the move when it was BROWN I guess I couldn't have been all THAT mad.

Agreed, Manny or Ortiz did not play well. My thought on that though is, yes, it sucks and yes, you can say that they would have won the game if they had just gotten a hit or two and yes, you would absolutely be right. But those things are going to happen, lousy as it may be, and it's the teams and coaches job to overcome it. The players did not do their job to "overcome" (poor word choice I know) it, but Grady certainly didn't make the right moves either. So...ok ill buy that, maybe not SOLELY Grady Little, but I still have to say he didn't do his part in that game.

I still don't like the way he managed the Kim situation, but again you have a point. I must add though, Kim wasn't throwing THAT bad. The pitches he was throwing were unhittable and strikes for the most part, but Randy Marsh squeezed him. I guess you have to play into the fact that if that's how you're throwing you're not gonna get that call, then you may not be the man. Timlin though, should have still been out there.

Todd Walker is not a good defensive second baseman. Problem is, neither is Damian Jackson. I don't think I'm any more comfortable out there with D-Jack than I am with Walker. And I understand you can't sit there and complain that Walker's bat was out of the lineup. I HATE it when people use hindsight to say that something cost them the game. I can't stand that cuz I know you have to manage in the moment. I guess I wasn't clear on that one. I only mentioned it because it was a very unfortunate side effect from the removal of Walker in the first place, a move which I don't think should have been made.

The walk...well...at least we both know that that was bad.

I don't think Grady Little is a good coach at all. I also don't think its BS to say that. (I also think that ust about anybody could have brought THIS team to the playoffs, but I don't have numbers/justification/examples so I won't get into it) Yeah I'm whining but I think i've got a point. He's made plenty of questionable calls and noncalls all year, but that game was just putrid. And I just want to again emphasize that I'm not using hindsight to say so. I think we all knew the Brown move was wrong, the intentional walk in the 12th was wrong. Those two were awful calls hands down. The Kim/Embree/Timlin thing...shouldn't have taken out Timlin, but I guess you have a point on how removing Kim may not have been bad. I don't think I agree but i understand your point. Going into the ninth though, I know a lot of people were saying "Why not leave Timlin in". I didn't wait till the game was over to be upset about that one. And i just don't like the defense D-Jack brings to the infield, so I will ALWAYS criticize when he goes in for defensive purposes.

You are still right though, a hit from Manny and we win that game. The game in general just wasn't good. I guess we'll just have to sit and wait and see if they can pull a '99 again.

Hey, don't think i was like, bein all argumentative or whatever, I hate people who use the cafe for fighting purposes...so stupid. I was just disagreeing. I like it when people may not agree with me, it gives us something to talk about. Lookin forward to continuing, haha ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby DK » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:37 pm

well, good luck to the sox ;-D

looking on the decisions he made...well, hindsight is always 20-20...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:14 pm

DK wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:I agree that Grady over managed the game, but I also blame Manny and Ortiz for notgetting the hits...as a matter of fact not get any hits...thats a joke, we had the man up..Manny, right when we needed him each and every time and got jack from it...thats clutch?

Well to make matter worse, it was announced today that "Forrest" is starting Jackson and Kapler tomorrow instead of Walker and Nixon....and Pedro won't pitch until games 5 "if ness".....and I use "if ness" very loosely....

I also say if we are gona lose I do hope the Yanks go down quick, because the Sox will wait till Torre gets caned...then same hour Forrest" will be caned, and Torre will be in a Sox uniform....


Agreed. Grady messed up, but the blame resides squarely on Manny. The top RBI man on baseball fails three times to get a hit with men on? Geez. There goes 20 mil.

And, DK, you can't go easy on your top players in the playoffs. You need them to produce.



very true...but i mean, you're getting mad at them as if you're the guy in charge, as if they're robots who should do it all. no offense, that's all i'm sayin'.


No offense taken, don't worry. It's just that to win in the playoffs you need your stars to step up. They didn't, and they should get more blame than Grady.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7088
(Past Year: -93)
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby DK » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:59 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
DK wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:I agree that Grady over managed the game, but I also blame Manny and Ortiz for notgetting the hits...as a matter of fact not get any hits...thats a joke, we had the man up..Manny, right when we needed him each and every time and got jack from it...thats clutch?

Well to make matter worse, it was announced today that "Forrest" is starting Jackson and Kapler tomorrow instead of Walker and Nixon....and Pedro won't pitch until games 5 "if ness".....and I use "if ness" very loosely....

I also say if we are gona lose I do hope the Yanks go down quick, because the Sox will wait till Torre gets caned...then same hour Forrest" will be caned, and Torre will be in a Sox uniform....


Agreed. Grady messed up, but the blame resides squarely on Manny. The top RBI man on baseball fails three times to get a hit with men on? Geez. There goes 20 mil.

And, DK, you can't go easy on your top players in the playoffs. You need them to produce.



very true...but i mean, you're getting mad at them as if you're the guy in charge, as if they're robots who should do it all. no offense, that's all i'm sayin'.


No offense taken, don't worry. It's just that to win in the playoffs you need your stars to step up. They didn't, and they should get more blame than Grady.


well, i wish them luck (i certainly don't wish fail on anyone), and hope that they can step it up for you and the rest of the sox fans ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby PresHabib » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:08 am

DK wrote:well, good luck to the sox ;-D

looking on the decisions he made...well, hindsight is always 20-20...


hindsight is indeed 20-20. Im really not even using hindsight though, I would think the same things even if the moves had worked for Grady Little...probably wouldnt SAY them cuz then I would have nothing to complain about. and if i did say anything it would just be "Grady got lucky". I guess Grady just can't win with me...i REALLY don't like him.

And tonight, he FINALLY let Trot in and look what happened...MONEY!

GO SOX!!

Another thing on hindsight that I actually just think is funny...everybody was praising the Houston Texans coach (Dom Capers??) for going for it on the one yard line with 2 seconds left down by three...that was a TERRIBLE call, and i hate how all those ESPN football guys were like "wow what an awesome call"...if that play doesnt work, they're screaming for his head on a plate saying "you never go for the win when you can tie, especially at home blah blah blah"...THATS the kind of hindsight that really annoys me cuz we all know they wouldn't be saying how great a call it was if it hadn't worked. But enough of that I guess...theres no room for football in a baseball cafe!

GO TROT!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby DK » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:43 am

agreed...the "gutsy" calls that work everyone is worked up for. the only guy in football who can call gutsy calls with confidence (was) Vince Lombardi.

nice shot by trot...


hey, i made a rhyme! i do that a lot, and i don't even notice it... :-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9077
(Past Year: -456)
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests