Return to Baseball Leftovers

Expansion Protocol

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Expansion Protocol

Postby Walden warriors » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:44 pm

Hey peeps,

Our fantasy (keeper) league is considering an expansion from 8 to 10 spots for 2005, and we'll begin discussing the protocol for said expansion at our owners' meeting in December.

Has anyone gone through an expansion before? How did you supply rosters to the teams? Was it just a dive for available players? I'm curious what other expanding leagues have done.

In our league, we're allowed to keep 13 players over the offseason. My idea was to have each owner freeze five of those (leaving 64 unprotected, draftable players). The two expansion owners would each draft one player, then the existing 8 owners freeze one more...the expansion owners draft two, existing owners freeze one more, and so on. Eventually, expansion franchises would each have 7 players heading into the draft, and every owner that lost a player (or players) would be awarded a compensatory draft pick relative to what round they lost a player. After a standard 9 round draft, the expansion owners would have 9 + 7 = 16 players, and they would have the pick of the free agent litter to fill in the rest of their roster.

This way, they have a chance, but still a good third of their roster is filled with scrubs.

What have other leagues done?

Thanks.
Does your league need a quality, outside review of your league rulebook? Does your league not have a written rulebook? Contact me! I can help.
Walden warriors
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:09 pm

Sounds like a good way to go about it. You might additionally want to add a clause limiting the number of players which any one existing team can lose in order to keep the existing balance relatively intact. Just a thought...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby DK » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:14 pm

Arlo wrote:Sounds like a good way to go about it. You might additionally want to add a clause limiting the number of players which any one existing team can lose in order to keep the existing balance relatively intact. Just a thought...

agreed.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby Super GM » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:21 pm

ditto ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:45 pm

DK wrote:
Arlo wrote:Sounds like a good way to go about it. You might additionally want to add a clause limiting the number of players which any one existing team can lose in order to keep the existing balance relatively intact. Just a thought...

agreed.

Very good point. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Return to Baseball Leftovers