Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lou Piniella on Soriano- 40/40 year again?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby clevername » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:36 pm

sure, he won't qualify as a 2nd baseman.

How valuable would any other player be if they were a potential 40/40 guy? How much would you guys be drooling over Bobby Abreu if he still had the hint of that potential?

Meanwhile, Soriano's done it and people still refuse to believe. His move to the OF hurts his overall value, but people still drool over 30/30 guys with 40/40 potential.

What do you expect his BA to be? I kept hearing that prediction last year, as well. He's a .280 career hitter. He'll hit .270-.280. We all knew that coming in to last year.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:
Yoda wrote:Soriano has a distinct ability to under perform when expectations are high.

you mean like last year?

I've seen people be down on him for the past year and a half and I can't help but laugh. He obviously shouldn't have been considered as highly last year as he is this year, but he was a good risk for 30/30 from the 2nd base position and people were still screaming to stay away from him. Now that he's coming off a 40/40 year in a pitcher's park and is moving to a park where he might hit even more homers and people are again screaming to stay away.

I can understand if you don't think he'll live up to his top 3 or 4 status that he seems to have right now, but the talk that he will underperform is old. If he goes 30/30, will we not be happy?

no since he won`t qualify @ 2b plus his ba will be subpar.

Im not trying to pick i figth here, but who gives a crap where a guy plays if he puts up 40/40. Thats like saying you wont take hafner in the 5th round because hes a DH. You obviously must have some grudge against Soriano, but im sure your leaguemates will be happy if you pass up on a 40/40 player in the middle picks in the first round.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:30 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:
Yoda wrote:Soriano has a distinct ability to under perform when expectations are high.

you mean like last year?

I've seen people be down on him for the past year and a half and I can't help but laugh. He obviously shouldn't have been considered as highly last year as he is this year, but he was a good risk for 30/30 from the 2nd base position and people were still screaming to stay away from him. Now that he's coming off a 40/40 year in a pitcher's park and is moving to a park where he might hit even more homers and people are again screaming to stay away.

I can understand if you don't think he'll live up to his top 3 or 4 status that he seems to have right now, but the talk that he will underperform is old. If he goes 30/30, will we not be happy?

Im not trying to pick i figth here, but who gives a crap where a guy plays if he puts up 40/40. Thats like saying you wont take hafner in the 5th round because hes a DH. You obviously must have some grudge against Soriano, but im sure your leaguemates will be happy if you pass up on a 40/40 player in the middle picks in the first round.

When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.

You are assuming that he will get 40/40. Nothing, absolutely nothing in baseball is a guarantee, especially someone going 40/40. If you think that I have some stupid grudge because I believe you will be disappointed expectin him to go 40/40 then I do not know what to tell you except to go look up how many people actually achieve that feat year to year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:35 pm

clevername wrote:sure, he won't qualify as a 2nd baseman.

How valuable would any other player be if they were a potential 40/40 guy? How much would you guys be drooling over Bobby Abreu if he still had the hint of that potential?

Meanwhile, Soriano's done it and people still refuse to believe. His move to the OF hurts his overall value, but people still drool over 30/30 guys with 40/40 potential.

What do you expect his BA to be? I kept hearing that prediction last year, as well. He's a .280 career hitter. He'll hit .270-.280. We all knew that coming in to last year.

How many 40/40 seasons can you count in baseball history? Just because someone's done it doesn't mean you should expect him to do it every season. Soriano had a career year in 06 and props to him.

However, this was his first 40/40, I do not understand how expecting him to do it every year makes any sense at all.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:42 am

much less in front of arguably one of the best 3-4-5-6s in the NL in DLee, Aramis, Jones/hopefully a platoon partner, and Barrett.

this was without a doubt, one of the funniest things I have read in a while :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby LukeW9027 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:11 am

Yoda wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:

you mean like last year?

You are assuming that he will get 40/40. Nothing, absolutely nothing in baseball is a guarantee, especially someone going 40/40. If you think that I have some stupid grudge because I believe you will be disappointed expectin him to go 40/40 then I do not know what to tell you except to go look up how many people actually achieve that feat year to year.

Who said that I expect him to go 40/40? even if he doesnt reach that plateau that only few gave touched, he is a virtual lock for 30/30. My argument here is against your statement saying his wont be valuable because he doesnt have 2B eligibility anymore. Anyone who can put up numbers like he can, is very valuable, no matter what position they play.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:51 am

LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
LukeW9027 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:

you mean like last year?

Who said that I expect him to go 40/40? even if he doesnt reach that plateau that only few gave touched, he is a virtual lock for 30/30. My argument here is against your statement saying his wont be valuable because he doesnt have 2B eligibility anymore. Anyone who can put up numbers like he can, is very valuable, no matter what position they play.

I would love to continue to argue with you but this thread is about Soriano going 40/40 unless I have a reading problem. :-?

There has been exactly 4 players in MLB history who went 40/40. Expecting him to do this in back to back seasons is a joke. And considering where he will get drafted (top 3), he will more likely to disappoint than not. Do you understand now or do I need to keep explaining?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 am

tal1286 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
much less in front of arguably one of the best 3-4-5-6s in the NL in DLee, Aramis, Jones/hopefully a platoon partner, and Barrett.

Who's better?

Beltran, Delgado, Wright, Alou for sure

I'd say these are just as good if not better too
Chipper, Andruw, McCann, Francouer.
Utley, Howard, Burrell, Rowand.
Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Encarncion.
Helton, Holliday, Atkins, Hawpe
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:57 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
tal1286 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

Who's better?

Beltran, Delgado, Wright, Alou for sure

I'd say these are just as good if not better too
Chipper, Andruw, McCann, Francouer.
Utley, Howard, Burrell, Rowand.
Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Encarncion.
Helton, Holliday, Atkins, Hawpe

Yep my post was deleted for some reason but I had the Mets, Phils, Bravos and Rox ahead of the Cubs.

Outside of Lee and sometimes Aram (too streaky), the other guys are easy outs.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers