Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brewers ink Suppan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:02 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:While the brewers have a few solid pieces in their lineup, (Fielder, Weeks, Hall) the rest of this lineup is shaky at best.

2B- Graffanino- good defense and a solid average, not much contribution on the offensive end.
SS- Hardy - Very good defender but is nota threat at the dish

LF&RF- These are the positions that will kill the brewers this season. Jenkins is a ridiculously overpayed bum who is a lock for 180 K's pretty much every year. He's way past his prime and should be on the bench elsewhere. In left, mench was solid in popcorn park, but doesnt cut it as a an everyday LF in Miller Park. I like Hart, but he's not ready for a fulltime role.

I think the brewers might hang around this season, but the I think they will fall out of the race as usual late in the season due to Sheets' health issues and the inability to produce runs.

Well, you don't have the lineup right. Graffanino and Mench will both be reserves, unquestionably. Weeks is the 2B, not Graffy, and Mench will be a bench bat at best, if he's still around after this offseason. Hart will be everyday, and he's absolutely ready. They've brought him along very slowly, he'll be 25 when the season starts, and had a fine .800 OPS in 237 AB with us last year. And Jenkins will be fine in RF as long as he is platooned.

2006 vs. Righties -- .306/.381/.490 for an .871 OPS
2006 vs. Lefties -- .133/.265/.214 for a .479 OPS

That's an allstar season against righties. But, Yost has to sit him against lefties, plain and simple. That's where Mench could come in big time

2006 vs. Righties -- .257/.294/.385 for a .680 OPS
2006 vs. Lefties -- .303/.364/.513 for an .876 OPS

A platoon makes them 1 .870 OPS RF, which is near all-star caliber. I'm not worried about a Hart/Hall/Menchkins OF at all.

That's not to say I don't kind of agree with you. I think they will hang around, and I think they will fall just short. I do wish they had one more big bat. I'm hoping Weeks can be that guy, but we'll see. But a healthy Sheets with a Cappy/Bush/Soup trio following him could take us some places. A lot relies on Sheets.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:10 pm

It wouldn't shock me by years end if the Brewers grabbed a wild card spot. This team looks pretty solid from offense to pitching and bullpen. Unfortunately, alot of the Breweres success relies on one Ben Sheets. Suppan helps even out the rotation a bit, but most teams couldn't stand losing their ace for significant amounts of time.

I agree though, a healthy Sheets and a strong season from Bush could vault the Brew Crew into the postseason.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers