Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs fry the fish to get game 2 and tie the series 1-1

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubs fry the fish to get game 2 and tie the series 1-1

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:45 pm

The Cubs won 12-3 tonight. Series is now tied, 1 game all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:33 am

Prior threw 116 pitches. Not a crazy number, but not exactly an easy day either. They were talking about it during the game.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:02 am

Prior should have been taken out after the 5th. That was friggin' ridiculous. I usually hate when people are talking about pitch counts, but there's no way he should have pitched 100 pitches with a lead like that. Take him out, give him a rest. That way, if you need him on 3 days rest, you'll have him, and if not, he'll be extra rested for his next game.

Dusty Baker is an idiot.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:30 am

EugeneStyles wrote:Prior should have been taken out after the 5th. That was friggin' ridiculous. I usually hate when people are talking about pitch counts, but there's no way he should have pitched 100 pitches with a lead like that. Take him out, give him a rest. That way, if you need him on 3 days rest, you'll have him, and if not, he'll be extra rested for his next game.

Dusty Baker is an idiot.

Right on! You're up that much, and the guy is what--23? My younger brother is older than him!!! ARGH. Baker is a moron. Let your bullpen do the mop-up job, would you?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:01 am

EugeneStyles wrote:Prior should have been taken out after the 5th. That was friggin' ridiculous. I usually hate when people are talking about pitch counts, but there's no way he should have pitched 100 pitches with a lead like that. Take him out, give him a rest. That way, if you need him on 3 days rest, you'll have him, and if not, he'll be extra rested for his next game.

Dusty Baker is an idiot.

Here's what Baker and Prior had to say about it:

Baker sticks with Prior despite big lead

By JASON STRAIT, AP Sports Writer
October 9, 2003
CHICAGO (AP) -- Even with a big cushion, Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker didn't feel the least bit comfortable.

The Cubs took an 11-0 lead after five innings on Wednesday night against the Florida Marlins, but Baker had no plans on removing starter Mark Prior to rest him for later in the series. Baker had seen too many balls fly out of Wrigley Field.

In fact, Baker didn't pull Prior until the eighth after two Marlins reached base with no outs.

ADVERTISEMENT

``We didn't want to take any chance of them putting up a bunch of crooked numbers, and them getting back in the ballgame at all,'' Baker said. ``We knew how many pitches he had, and our number was 115. And he went over it by one, that's why I went out and got him.''

As for Prior, he didn't mind staying in.

``If anything, it gave me a chance to work on things,'' he said. ``I got a chance to work on my changeup and throw it in there and see guys' reaction to it, which was nice.''

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DK » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:11 pm

Madison wrote:Cubs fry the fish

that is a major understatement. and dusty should have to go out and throw a pitch for every pitch his starters go over 100. show him how hard it is. :-t
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Return to Baseball Leftovers