Return to Baseball Leftovers

Points League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Points League

Postby ctt8410 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:31 pm

So I usually play in H2H leagues, but I happened to sign up for a pay league that is based on points this year. There are a large number of categories included besides the usual, but my biggest issue is the following:

In this format, the 110th rated player from last year is Alex Rios who scored 352 points.

The ONLY pitcher who scored more than 352 points in this format last year was Santana with 437.

So with a 14-team league that has 3 SP, 2 RP, and 1 P and considering the fact that Santana will inevitably be drafted too early and that a few players will rely on the O-Rank to draft and end up pitcher-heavy do you completely avoid pitchers until the 10th round or later of a 22-round draft?

I'm in the middle of trying to organize a cheatsheet and I'm thinking I'll fill at least one of my 7 bench spots before ever drafting a pitcher. Anyone have a similar experience in a league like this before? I'm not even sure what to expect...
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:07 am

What are the scoring cats?
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby JTWood » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:19 am

If that's the scoring system, you should definitely draft a ton of hitters before you start drafting pitchers.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:04 pm

It depends more on the point range of the hitters. It Rios scored 352 but somebody like Pujols scored something around 450 then it doesn't matter what you draft first.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 pm

List your categories.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby djacks » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm in a similar league where hitters significantly outscore pitchers. However...you still have to field an entire team. I would lean towards drafting hitters first, but I believe you still need a ace or two if you plan on winning. If you ignore pitching too much it will hurt your team because you'll have crap for pitching points.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby ctt8410 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Stat Modifiers: R (1), 1B (1), 2B (2), 3B (3), HR (4), RBI (1), SB (2), CS (-1), BB (1), K (-1), IP (1), W (5), L (-3), SV (3), ER (-1), BB (-1), K (1)

Notables:

#1 Pujols scored 669 last year.
#4 Jimmy Rollins scored 584 last year.
#25 Hafner scored 505 last year.
#50 Carlos Delgado scored 444 last year.
#75 Torii Hunter scored 412 last year.
#100 Randy Winn scored 362 last year.

#2 pitcher Smoltz scored 351 last year.
#25 pitcher Wagner scored 256 last year.
#50 pitcher Kelvim Escobar scored 223 last year.

Assuming that the BN spots are split between field players and pitchers, then the 182nd best field player is theoretically the last ownable player and last year that was Adam Everett with 267 points.

The last ownable pitcher was Jon Rauch who scored 118 points.

So the range for field players is 267-669 (402 points) and the range for pitchers is 118-437 (319 points). Max roster moves is set at 75, so I have a little wiggle room for shuffling pitchers, but not much.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRock » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:45 pm

The issue is not how many points a guy scores, it's how many he scores compared to others at his position. If Santana outscores the #2 by 80 points, that's worth a high pick. But it does look like you need to focus on hitters first, even more so than traditional scoring.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Philliebuster » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:19 pm

I'm in a similar type league. You are still going to want to field an evenly balanced team, slightly favoring the batters. With SB's at 2 it looks like the league favors speedsters a bit. Especially someone like Pierre who doesn't K alot. It also looks like relief pitchers are not worth much...with Wagner only getting 250 points, i'd shy away from drafting relievers.

So basically it looks like on average a batter (B) will get you 375 points throughout the year. Pitchers (P) around 250. Divide that by 26 weeks and you have the B averaging about 15 points a week and the P's averaging about 10. Obviously the good B's and P's will be getting a little more.

I've found in any given week, you'd probably have to score 160+ points to win. So having 6 pitchers that could have a chance to get you more than 10 points would help greatly (60+ points), but you need the solid foundation of batters to consistently get you points as well. So draft batter heavy, picking up big K pitchers on winning teams.

I'd draft B,B,B,P,B,P,B, P, P, B, B...something like that (unless big talent in the P position falls to you in any spot).
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:07 am

Philliebuster wrote:It also looks like relief pitchers are not worth much...with Wagner only getting 250 points, i'd shy away from drafting relievers.

That's a common mistake made in a points league. You see most Points leagues have games limits on each positions and a inning limit for the pitchers and I would think this league does too and he just haven't thought of looking to see if it does and if it is the common 1250 innings closers become very valueable.

You see your averge starting pitcher might do 15 wins at 5 points each would be 75 points but a top closer might give you 40 saves and at 3 point a save that comes to 120 points.

And simply with a starter most starts end up being 6 or 7 innings useing up your limit but with a closer they only take up 1 inning in most cases.

Not to speak of most Closers averge a strike per inning and not many starter do that.

So if you are playing with a limit then the goal is to score as much you can within that limit.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers