Return to Baseball Leftovers

History of Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

History of Fantasy Baseball

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm doing some research for a speech I have to give later this week and was seeing you any of you knew of some websites or other places that would have information on the history of fantasy baseball. Its a standard informative speech, but I need some credible sources to get info from.

Thanks, I think this is the correct forum for this question.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: History of Fantasy Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:43 pm

BravesGuy wrote:I'm doing some research for a speech I have to give later this week and was seeing you any of you knew of some websites or other places that would have information on the history of fantasy baseball. Its a standard informative speech, but I need some credible sources to get info from.

There's a pretty good quick overview in Sam Walker's Fantasyland. Sam Walker works for the Wall Street Journal, so I bet it's pretty credible. Go to your local library and check it out.

Here's the blurb from the website.

While the origins of this game date back to a small group of academics at the University of Michigan in the 1960s, Rotisserie League Baseball, the game that popularized the concept of fantasy sports across the world (and is played in this book) was the brainchild of a group of Manhattan publishing types led by Daniel Okrent.

As enormous baseball fans, Okrent and his friends spent countless hours arguing about the way teams were managed and, over time, convinced themselves that they could do just as good of a job as the yahoos who were actually paid to do so. In the Winter of 1979, Okrent set out to create an elaborate game that would simulate the process of building a ballclub. The idea was to determine, once and for all, which of his friends would really make the best general manager.

After sketching out the rules over two days in his study in Western Massachusetts, he pitched the idea to a group of conspirators who quickly bit the hook. In April, 1980, this original group assembled in a Park Avenue apartment in New York to draft teams. Since many of the competitors were part of a regular lunch group that met at a Manhattan restaurant called “La Rotisserie Francaise,” they adopted “Rotisserie” as the game’s official handle.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm

^^ that is the actual story of how fantasy baseball started.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby wrveres » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 pm

god bless Daniel Okrent ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm

wrveres wrote:god bless Daniel Okrent ;-D

Okrent : Fantasy Baseball :: Abner Doubleday : Real Baseball

ImageImageImage
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Re: History of Fantasy Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:52 pm

Steve-o wrote:
BravesGuy wrote:I'm doing some research for a speech I have to give later this week and was seeing you any of you knew of some websites or other places that would have information on the history of fantasy baseball. Its a standard informative speech, but I need some credible sources to get info from.

There's a pretty good quick overview in Sam Walker's Fantasyland. Sam Walker works for the Wall Street Journal, so I bet it's pretty credible. Go to your local library and check it out.

That is exactly what I was going to recommend. Even if you had no report to do, this book is a really great read for anyone who is serious about fantasy sports, and probably for lots of people who don't think they're serious about fantasy sports. Walker is a really entertaining writer, and if you play fantasy, the material is that much more compelling.
Last edited by Fantasy Sports Genie on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Pedantic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:53 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

ImageImageImage

Except that Okrent actually invented something. :-D
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Pedantic wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

ImageImageImage

Ouch!
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:09 pm

thedude wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

ImageImageImage

Ouch!

The notion of Abner Doubleday inventing baseball is probably a myth. :-b

http://ponyball.net/abner-doubleday-inv ... eball.html

We will never know
:-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. What about some websites that deal with how it has evolved since then and with some facts about how popular it is today.

Like I said in my first post I am doing an informative speech (FYI I don't write speeches well) and I thought I would first talk about how fantasy baseball began then talk about how it has evolved into what it is today. Its supposed to be 5-6 minutes long so the more info you guys could give me the better.

Thanks again
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 29)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers