Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which is the better pick?

Harden at 5.11
10%
Webb at 4.3
90%

Total votes : 124

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Looks like I'm in a minority, but if Harden stays healthy, which I am banking on him doing, he will have much better value.

That's what everybody else pretty much believes. IF Harden stays healthy he'll produce at least as well as Webb. If monkeys fly out of that dudes butt it's going to hurt. In either case we'll probably never know.

The whole point is did he get value with his pick? I say no because he could have got Harden with 1 of his next 3 picks. Where as Webb probably would have been gone before the next pick of his. The injury risk and his perceived value make him not a very good 5th round pick. He is much later in most drafts.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Looks like I'm in a minority, but if Harden stays healthy, which I am banking on him doing, he will have much better value.

Even if Harden stays healthy he very well might not outproduce Webb. Then you add in the fact he's been hurt in 2004, 2005, 2006 and had some back problems that made him miss a few starts in 2003 and I just don't see how you can think he's a safe bet in round 5.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Can't believe nobody caught the reference. Am I that old? :-/
Last edited by TheRock on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:25 pm

TheRock wrote:Image

Can't believe nobody caught the reference. Am I that old? :-/

Red 'X'.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Aw dang. Better?

Can't believe nobody caught the joke then I blew the image. !+)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:43 pm

TheRock wrote:Aw dang. Better?

Can't believe nobody caught the joke then I blew the image. !+)

Good. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Cow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:16 am

J35J wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Thanks fellas. I think the response/vote proves my point. Though, this guy now claims that the Cafe is wrong in a lot of rankings/opinions and that's how he wins his leagues by not going with what the majority thinks.

Is your friend.... The Cow?? O:-)

Wow that came from left field. I was being good and I haven't even posted in a while. Been busy ranking players and compiling info. I wasn't going to weigh in here, but what the heck.

1. Both players were drafted too soon thats my opinion. I guess Webb is the better pick and definately safer. Webb was probably drafted a round or two too soon. Harden, wow, he scares me and that is saying something usually I am all for the gamble, but this is way to soon for Harden. I have Harden, Prior, Wood, and Sheets in a class all their own, boom or bust.

2. As for his friend bucking conventional "wisdom" hey I agree to a point. Alot of the people that compile rankings have no clue what they are doing. And many people just follow along with the experts. My draft philosophy is to heck with the rankings, if I like a player and think he will be good I take him, maybe I take him a round too early. I draft of my list which admittedly looks a little screwed up at the start of the year, but usually my players pan out. I do keep an eye on ADP, so that I don't take them waay too early though. But after saying all of this, he still took Harden way too soon. There is too soon and there is waay to soon, too soon is fine, but waay too soon is not the best idea.

The Cow an independent thinker
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

The Cow wrote:
J35J wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Thanks fellas. I think the response/vote proves my point. Though, this guy now claims that the Cafe is wrong in a lot of rankings/opinions and that's how he wins his leagues by not going with what the majority thinks.

Is your friend.... The Cow?? O:-)

Wow that came from left field. I was being good and I haven't even posted in a while. Been busy ranking players and compiling info. I wasn't going to weigh in here, but what the heck.

1. Both players were drafted too soon thats my opinion. I guess Webb is the better pick and definately safer. Webb was probably drafted a round or two too soon. Harden, wow, he scares me and that is saying something usually I am all for the gamble, but this is way to soon for Harden. I have Harden, Prior, Wood, and Sheets in a class all their own, boom or bust.

2. As for his friend bucking conventional "wisdom" hey I agree to a point. Alot of the people that compile rankings have no clue what they are doing. And many people just follow along with the experts. My draft philosophy is to heck with the rankings, if I like a player and think he will be good I take him, maybe I take him a round too early. I draft of my list which admittedly looks a little screwed up at the start of the year, but usually my players pan out. I do keep an eye on ADP, so that I don't take them waay too early though. But after saying all of this, he still took Harden way too soon. There is too soon and there is waay to soon, too soon is fine, but waay too soon is not the best idea.

The Cow an independent thinker

I definitely agree.

I've drafted both Prior and Harden in both leagues that I drafted this year, and most people would believe that this is bucking conventional wisdom and not smart. And, they might be right. That said, I think they are monumental talents, and if I look like a fool when they combine for 100 innings, then so be it. But if they do harness their unbelievably talent, then taking them earlier than their ADP has dictated will have paid off for me. The bottom line is, it's a high risk/reward proposition, and we'll see what happens.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:33 am

So if this guy has/is viewing this thread, why hasn't he come on and defended his pick? Wouldn't that make sense? Unless he's kicking himself right now for realizing his mistake.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers