10%
Webb at 4.3
90%

Total votes : 124

Postby The Cow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:59 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
The Cow wrote:
J35J wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Thanks fellas. I think the response/vote proves my point. Though, this guy now claims that the Cafe is wrong in a lot of rankings/opinions and that's how he wins his leagues by not going with what the majority thinks.

Is your friend.... The Cow?? O:-)

Wow that came from left field. I was being good and I haven't even posted in a while. Been busy ranking players and compiling info. I wasn't going to weigh in here, but what the heck.

1. Both players were drafted too soon thats my opinion. I guess Webb is the better pick and definately safer. Webb was probably drafted a round or two too soon. Harden, wow, he scares me and that is saying something usually I am all for the gamble, but this is way to soon for Harden. I have Harden, Prior, Wood, and Sheets in a class all their own, boom or bust.

2. As for his friend bucking conventional "wisdom" hey I agree to a point. Alot of the people that compile rankings have no clue what they are doing. And many people just follow along with the experts. My draft philosophy is to heck with the rankings, if I like a player and think he will be good I take him, maybe I take him a round too early. I draft of my list which admittedly looks a little screwed up at the start of the year, but usually my players pan out. I do keep an eye on ADP, so that I don't take them waay too early though. But after saying all of this, he still took Harden way too soon. There is too soon and there is waay to soon, too soon is fine, but waay too soon is not the best idea.

The Cow an independent thinker

I definitely agree.

I've drafted both Prior and Harden in both leagues that I drafted this year, and most people would believe that this is bucking conventional wisdom and not smart. And, they might be right. That said, I think they are monumental talents, and if I look like a fool when they combine for 100 innings, then so be it. But if they do harness their unbelievably talent, then taking them earlier than their ADP has dictated will have paid off for me. The bottom line is, it's a high risk/reward proposition, and we'll see what happens.

First let me say that I agree with most everything you have said and normally I would be on board with guys like Prior, Wood, Harden and Sheets. I have drafted them for the same reasons that you have drafted them. Its just that I have been burned one too many times by those guys. So my plan is to draft "safer" pitchers this year, we will see how that works. Either that or I am really going to draft Harden, Prior, Wood, Sheets and I just don't want people in my league to think that. Or somewhere in between. But in reality I am backing off those guys, taking my foot off the accelerator a bit or am I slamming on the brakes or do I have the pedal to the medal?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:So if this guy has/is viewing this thread, why hasn't he come on and defended his pick? Wouldn't that make sense? Unless he's kicking himself right now for realizing his mistake.
Not sure why he hasn't been on. I PM'd him the link so he knows the thread exists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Re: Which SP would you rather have- settle a dispute UPDATED

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:15 am

I just wanted to bump this up... :-D ;-D
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:30 am

chadlincoln wrote:I just wanted to bump this up... :-D ;-D

So how are the two of you looking in the standings?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:06 pm

J35J wrote:

Well, the other dude drafted: Teixiera (first half - OUCH), D. Lee (ouch), Michael Young (ouch), JD Drew (OUCH OUCH OUCH), BJ Ryan (OUCH, but Riccardi just says "ouch"), Weeks (ouch), Harden (clearly, OUCH), and RJ (ouch). His only real nice picks were Hudson and Byrnes.

If that dude is anywhere near the top half of the standings, I'd be shocked - or else their league is a Yahoo public league.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:42 pm

J35J wrote:

I don't think this was an actual league, but just a mock draft.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -31)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:10 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
J35J wrote:

I don't think this was an actual league, but just a mock draft.

Ya, it was just a mock on here.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 am

First let me say that I agree with most everything you have said and normally I would be on board with guys like Prior, Wood, Harden and Sheets

Sheets really does not belong in that list.

2005 an out of the blue injury
2006 the prognosis was he might miss up to half the year while he recovers, he comes back early and misses part of the year so if you drafted him expecting anything else you were a moron.
2007 a minor finger injury that could have happened to anyone and had nothing to do with the 2005/2006 thing.

That is not prior or Harden or Wood.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Oriole Way » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Ender wrote:
First let me say that I agree with most everything you have said and normally I would be on board with guys like Prior, Wood, Harden and Sheets

Sheets really does not belong in that list.

2005 an out of the blue injury
2006 the prognosis was he might miss up to half the year while he recovers, he comes back early and misses part of the year so if you drafted him expecting anything else you were a moron.
2007 a minor finger injury that could have happened to anyone and had nothing to do with the 2005/2006 thing.

That is not prior or Harden or Wood.

You're fooling yourself if you don't think Sheets is a big injury risk. He gets injured every single year, I don't care if they're all freak injuries in different spots, the bottom line is that he's injury-prone.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:38 am

Gave up on Sheets this year. I've had him on my keeper team since his breakout season but he is simply not a reliable pitcher. I'll be avoiding him next year unless he falls past the 10th round which I don't see it happening.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers