Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Postby phr3ak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 am

This guy could turn into a smaller version of Sizemore and actually not so small after all, considering theyre very similar players. Yes Sizemore is the better and safer pick, but Baldelli could put same kind of numbers and be taken in 8 rounds later.

Thoughts?
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:11 am

Sizemore will top him by about 40 runs, 10 HR's, and be comparable to him in the other categories. That is IF Baldelli stays healthy for a whole year. Big if. I've thought similarly about Damon, though. I have a tough time seeing how people see Sizemore as a second round pick when you can get Damon with very similar numbers several rounds later.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 am

I don't think anyone doubts that he will put up Sizemore numbers over a full season. He goes that late because he can't play a full season and therefore won't put up Sizemore numbers.

I'd say you're probably getting fair value when draft Baldelli at his average position. Most likely he's not going to give you better stats than everyone who goes above him but he's not going to be worse than those below him.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby KronJon » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:54 am

I actually agree with this comparison...

And to those who are saying that Sizemore will hit 10 more HR's.. last year Baldelli and Sizemore had the exact same slugging% ( .533 ). Some of you guys are definitely underestimating him.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:11 am

I think there's a few factors that make Sizemore a lot better than Baldelli. First of all, he's put together a couple of great seasons in a row (while Baldelli still hasn't had one). Second of all, even after hitting 28 HR last year, he has the potential to gain even more power (while what Damon showed last year is pretty much his power ceiling. Also, Sizemore hits in the offense that ranked #2 in runs scored in the AL last year, while the Rays ranked dead last.

That said, you have to take some risks to win leagues. Would I rather have Sizemore than Baldelli? Of course. Even in a best case scenario by Baldelli, I expect that he'll have a couple less HR and a bunch less R/RBI than Sizemore. However, I'd probably rather have Baldelli in Round 8-9 than Sizemore in Round 2.

Of course, I also think that what all of this goes to show is not so much that Sizemore is overrated, but that Baldelli has the potential to be worth a fair amount this year compared to where he'll generally be drafted.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby phr3ak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:15 am

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:That said, you have to take some risks to win leagues. Would I rather have Sizemore than Baldelli? Of course. Even in a best case scenario by Baldelli, I expect that he'll have a couple less HR and a bunch less R/RBI than Sizemore. However, I'd probably rather have Baldelli in Round 8-9 than Sizemore in Round 2.

Of course, I also think that what all of this goes to show is not so much that Sizemore is overrated, but that Baldelli has the potential to be worth a fair amount this year compared to where he'll generally be drafted.

Definetly my point!
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mbuser » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:28 am

i think an ideal scenario would be having both sizemore and baldelli on your squad .. i wouldn't skip sizemore just because i'd plan on drafting baldelli later
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby buckwild13 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 am

mbuser wrote:i think an ideal scenario would be having both sizemore and baldelli on your squad .. i wouldn't skip sizemore just because i'd plan on drafting baldelli later

dude, ssssssshhhh that is my plan...grrr
buckwild13
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby dougbies » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 am

i think that baldelli is extememly overrated. there is no way that he will live up to the hype, and he is certainly no seizemore.
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers