Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 am

dougbies wrote:i think that baldelli is extememly overrated. there is no way that he will live up to the hype, and he is certainly no seizemore.

Why can't he live up to the hype? He is of course very talented, and most projections for him are in the 100 runs, 20 HR, 80 RBIs, 20 steals range. Of course that is not Sizemore numbers, but he also is not drafted in the same range as Sizemore. I see no reason except for injury, and Baldelli is completely healthy right now, for him not to be able to fulfill those expectations.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:06 am

phr3ak wrote:Baldelli: cheaper less good, less consistent version of Sizemore
Fixed. ;-D

Seriously, though, just because two players put up a similar distribution of stats doesn't mean one is "a cheaper version" of the other. I mean, I could say that Adam Kennedy is a "cheaper" version of Chase Utley by that logic.

Sizemore is clearly the better player and has the track record to back it up. Baldelli (if healthy) should steal more bases than Sizemore while Grady has a better BA and more HR. Also, Sizemore should hit in the three-hole while Baldelli very well might lead off, meaning their R and RBI stats should be quite different-looking as well. So the only thing they've really got in common is that they both steal and hit HRs.

Baldelli: cheaper version of Soriano
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:16 am

KronJon wrote:I actually agree with this comparison...

And to those who are saying that Sizemore will hit 10 more HR's.. last year Baldelli and Sizemore had the exact same slugging% ( .533 ). Some of you guys are definitely underestimating him.
As long as I'm on this thread, SLG is not the same thing as "HR-hitting ability". If you want to use a rate stat, use ISOP, but even that captures doubles and triples (which Rocco gets a lot of) rather than HRs only.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:21 am

dougbies wrote:i think that baldelli is extememly overrated. there is no way that he will live up to the hype, and he is certainly no seizemore.

Huh. I think they will end the year with similar numbers (+/- 10%), meaning that Baldelli will be worth more considering where I have drafted him so far
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 am

The same thing was said of Matt Lawton in 05 after his 04 season. "Lawton is a cheaper version of Beltran". Looked what happened w/ that...

Let's wait on crowning the oft injured Baldelli anything other than a cheaper version of a healthy Baldelli until he completes one full healthy season.

He is who we thought he was! Why don't you crown his a*$! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby godallahstar » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 pm

some of you guys are a little too sure of yourself when writing off players.

baldelli hasn't reached his peak,
or at least hasn't been able to shown it.

has sizemore?
i would think we could agree, a bit closer.

rocco has a bigger frame than grady,
it would not surprise me too much to see him fill out and hit 30 home runs. he's always been a great athlete.

i was quite surprised when grady hit 28.
he wasn't exactly projected to be a 30 home run guy.

i also think grady sizemore was a tad more ready when he reached the majors. so while grady was quite a bit more polished and continued improving on that, rocco has been forced to try and improve and adapt while in the majors (and on the bench, hurt)

theyre a lot more comparable and similar than some of you are admitting, maybe not fantasy wise at the moment. but they are.

it's definitely not matt lawton / carlos beltran-esque

(with that said, give me sizemore and make tampa trade rocco for some pitching)
Last edited by godallahstar on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:The same thing was said of Matt Lawton in 05 after his 04 season. "Lawton is a cheaper version of Beltran". Looked what happened w/ that...

Let's wait on crowning the oft injured Baldelli anything other than a cheaper version of a healthy Baldelli until he completes one full healthy season.

He is who we thought he was! Why don't you crown his a*$! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I never heard that about Lawton. He never had the talent that any of the guys we have been discussing have. In this case, the question is health. Given his previous stats, it seems clear he is already (at least) a mini-Sizemore if he simply repeats what he had last year, except the upside is tremendous.
ukrneal
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -150)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:24 pm

I don't like Baldelli's K/BB ratio either, it was something like 5/1 last year (closer to 4/1 career). Sizemore is around 2/1. I'd like to see Rocco be a little more patient at the plate, but we may see that this year if he's leading off.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Oh, I'm not saying that Lawton had their talent, just that b/c of his 04 stats (109 R, 20 HR, 70 RBI 23 SB and 277 AVG) he was lite Beltran stats (121 R, 38 HR, 104 RBI, 42 SB and 265ish AVG).

Yes there was a reason that you got Lawton much later in 05, but based on 04 stats, there was reason to believe he'd be Beltran-LITE, not Beltran, in 05.

I think that's the case we're making for Baldelli. He'll put up Sizemore-LITE #s in 07, not Sizemore #'s.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers