Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby srb7215 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Baldelli has always been a top sleeper. He has a lot of talent but just can't stay healthy. The other big issue is whether he will traded this year. Maybe he goes to a better team where he can put up more runs. If Boston, Houston or the Angels trade for him I think his value soars. So go get him...
srb7215
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm

mbuser wrote:i think an ideal scenario would be having both sizemore and baldelli on your squad .. i wouldn't skip sizemore just because i'd plan on drafting baldelli later

Yup, I'd agree with that too. The only reason I talked about taking one instead of the other is because my main league uses LF/CF/RF, so I'm not used to thinking of it as 3 OF.

As for the possibility of a trade, that would definitely make things interesting. I think the chances of him getting traded are a lot lower than the chances of him staying a Ray, but his name has definitely been floated out there. The only way I could see a trade hurting his value is if he ends up in a situation where he's hitting very low in the order, although there are very few teams where that would even be a possibility.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 am

Baldelli is a huge injury risk but I think he will go 20-20 this year.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Cow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

I like Sizemore and Baldelli. Sizemore is easily the better player. Baldelli just has not put together a Sizemore type season yet. In a keeper I like Sizemore even more because he will be the Tribe's 3 hole hitter sooner rather than later. It could be mid-season or it could be the start of next season. Sizemore continues to get stronger, 30 HRs is a real possibility for this year. Sizemore is no shrimp he is 6'2 200 down th eroad who knows how many homers he will hit. Baldelli is 6'4 200 these two players are very similar. The BIG exception is health. I can't comment on Baldelli, but Sizemore hustles like few players in the game whcih to me says that he should be consistent.

Next year Sizemore is in the 3 hole, .300 110 35 125 25 for next year.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby The Cow » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:15 pm

Sizemore is also a year younger than Baldelli which is normally no big deal, but Sizemore has outproduced Baldelli and he is younger and he is healthier. Sizemore for President!

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrobinson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:13 pm

if youre in a BA league baldelli is a decent flier pick, but for On base, his career .329 is simply dreadful.
mrobinson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Cow » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:40 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Cow wrote:I like Sizemore and Baldelli. Sizemore is easily the better player. Baldelli just has not put together a Sizemore type season yet. In a keeper I like Sizemore even more because he will be the Tribe's 3 hole hitter sooner rather than later. It could be mid-season or it could be the start of next season. Sizemore continues to get stronger, 30 HRs is a real possibility for this year. Sizemore is no shrimp he is 6'2 200 down th eroad who knows how many homers he will hit. Baldelli is 6'4 200 these two players are very similar. The BIG exception is health. I can't comment on Baldelli, but Sizemore hustles like few players in the game whcih to me says that he should be consistent.

Next year Sizemore is in the 3 hole, .300 110 35 125 25 for next year.

The Cow

Let me start by saying i am a Rays and Indians fan and i love both of these guys.

The reason Rocco hasn't produced is b/c of injuries. Baldelli has always had over 30/20 potential since being in the minors. As good as Sizemore is in the field, Rocco is the best defensive CF in the game IMO. He knows how to take the best angles to the ball and has a stronger arm. Rocco is definetly a huster. If Rocco had been healthy his whole time in the Bigs they would be equal. IMO these 2 guys when healthy are the same guy

I will give you that in power and speed they are close. However Sizemore in addition to better health posted an OBP of .375 last year. Baldelli's OBP was .339. This translates into more runs and SB attemts for Sizemore. I am not here to bash Baldelli I think he is a good player, he just has not come close to putting up numbers like Sizemore's yet. I think Baldelli is a little less talented than Sizemore and Baldelli is a lot more injury prone. As for their defense Sizemore plays a great CF as does Baldelli, Baldelli has the better arm, but that gets you nothing in fantasy.

The Cow
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:51 am

It sounds like there is some agreement that Baldelli, if healthy, could post some similar, but slightly less impressive numbers than Sizemore. So.....I would conclude, based on their average draft positions, that it might be a good strategy to go with someone like Hafner or Manny that has been falling in to the second round rather than Sizemore, and get Baldelli later.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers