Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:07 am

I kind of agree that Baldelli makes a good Sizemore lite and I also agree that at the price point (round or $ value) Sizemore is likely going to be pretty pricey this year.

I am considering Baldelli a 'plan B' kind of guy although Sizemore does get me drooling. I am not too concerned about the injuries though, as he looked pretty healthy once he got going last year.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:50 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I kind of agree that Baldelli makes a good Sizemore lite and I also agree that at the price point (round or $ value) Sizemore is likely going to be pretty pricey this year.

I am considering Baldelli a 'plan B' kind of guy although Sizemore does get me drooling. I am not too concerned about the injuries though, as he looked pretty healthy once he got going last year.

he is very healthy in camp and has been aggresively going towards balls in the OF and running on the bases ;-D

He clearly has the talent but also has a long history of injuries as well. He is a high risk/reward type player IMO. I would suggest getting a good backup if you draft him.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Cow » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Be careful of the lite players. Sometimes they pan out and sometimes they don't. If Baldelli is Sizemore-lite and he appears to be, he also carries greater risk. A couple years ago people were saying that Randy Wynn was Ichiro-lite, well where are the Randy Wynn fans now? In 2007 sure you can pass on Sizemore and draft Hafner and then draft Baldelli(Sizemore-lite) , but you can also draft a Hafner-lite in Jim Thome(Thome is slipping in many drafts). The risk with Thome is age and injury.

Is Felipe Lopez Hanley Ramirez-lite? Is Rich Harden, Johan-lite? etc

Usually the lite players come with risk, it just depends upon which lite playe ryou like the best I guess. We will all take lite players and they are the ones that will make or break a team.

I still say Baldelli is a good option, just not as good as Sizemore. If you draft both you are getting two lead-off OFs, not ideal since many will have lead-off 2B and SS already. Too many leadoff guys will hurt you in RBIs.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Re: Baldelli: cheaper version of Sizemore

Postby Midnight_Toker » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:37 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
phr3ak wrote:Baldelli: cheaper less good, less consistent version of Sizemore
Fixed. ;-D

Seriously, though, just because two players put up a similar distribution of stats doesn't mean one is "a cheaper version" of the other. I mean, I could say that Adam Kennedy is a "cheaper" version of Chase Utley by that logic.

Sizemore is clearly the better player and has the track record to back it up. Baldelli (if healthy) should steal more bases than Sizemore while Grady has a better BA and more HR. Also, Sizemore should hit in the three-hole while Baldelli very well might lead off, meaning their R and RBI stats should be quite different-looking as well. So the only thing they've really got in common is that they both steal and hit HRs.

Baldelli: cheaper version of Soriano

Agree 100% ;-D
Midnight_Toker
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers