Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where's Dice-K going in drafts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CadensDad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 am

Too early for me :-°
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5939
(Past Year: -38)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LiveForever » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 am

I dont see how you could call him overrated. All he had done against major league hitters is dominate. I dont think he has given up a run yet in ST and in the WBC last season he was untouchable. I say draft in the 5th round and trade him in July just before he starts to go around the league for a second time. He should be dominate until then and probably still very good after.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 639
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:49 am

LiveForever wrote:I dont see how you could call him overrated. All he had done against major league hitters is dominate. I dont think he has given up a run yet in ST and in the WBC last season he was untouchable. I say draft in the 5th round and trade him in July just before he starts to go around the league for a second time. He should be dominate until then and probably still very good after.


The first time through the league the pitcher always has the advantage and in most cases they struggle the 2nd time through. I basically see Dice-K as this years King's Felix. A guy who has unreal expectations who is unlikely to meet them. There is probably something like a 20% chance Dice-K is worth a 4th round pick and an 80% chance he's more of a 7th or 8th round guy. Now that I've posted this I'm sure if he turns out to be a stud everyone will say I'm an idiot even though I'm obviously going to be wrong at least 20% of the time just by normal probability.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7705
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby samjerky » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:03 pm

[quote="LiveForever"]I dont see how you could call him overrated. [quote]

Going in the first 12 is seriously overrated, no?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 619
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Don G. » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 pm

after reading this article, i'm prepared to draft him as the #1 overall pick! :)

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ex ... erly_await
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1923
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 9 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby alecspade » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:33 am

He was taken 13th overall (1st pick in round 2) by an experienced owner in my 12-team H2H keeper league. I almost fell over.
alecspade
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 36
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shiner » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:58 am

he went 5.55 in a standard yahoo public league
Shiner
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 122
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 14 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2005Cardinals » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:43 am

The gyroball IS real. Is it similar to a screwball-slurve hybrid? yes, but not exactly the same. The arm motion is different from a screwball, because instead of snapping the wrist, (like a curveball), he brings the arm/hand straight down, the palm perpendicular to the ground. When the curve was first invanted, they said it was also not a new pitch. heck, in 1960, TIME had an article about the curve, saying it didn't curve! The incredible amount od data on the gyro, along with the phyiscal differences, is proof enough.
2005Cardinals
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 33
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:08 am

In my money league we are Red Sox fans, so I'll be avoiding him unless he actually drops to a reasonable position (6-8) but I doubt that will happen.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11135
(Past Year: -350)
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:17 am

5th round is reasonable. I don't think he's overrated, he could easily pitch like a top 10 SP.
Image
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3381
(Past Year: -50)
Joined: 4 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beast mode

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron