Return to Baseball Leftovers

Papelbon, closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Papelbon, closer?

Postby letsgoyanks » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 pm

what are the chances that papelbon gets reverted back into a closer for boston this season? I know he is a starter for now but given the shaky closer situation what are the odds be is a closer this year?
letsgoyanks Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby browntown » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I'd say they're actually relatively high, especially considering their alternatives. Timlin and Pineiro have both been bombed a few times this spring already, and there's no doubt Boston needs a stabilizer in that final frame. Right now i'd put it at about 30% that he'll be closing at some point this year, though they're a team that has the beef to make a trade if they really want to keep Papelbon as a starter. Obviously at this point draft him like a starter, but he's got a slightly hightened value b/c he does have a chance at regaining the closer role this year imo.
browntown
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:54 pm

I would say that his chances of closing are very slim. If worse comes to worse the red sox will turn to Bryce Cox.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:56 pm

It completely has to do with how good he's doing starting and how good the bullpen is doing. If he's going strong two months into the season and they're at or near the lead in the AL East, they're going to leave him alone. I'm pretty sure if at all possible, they're going to want to give him an entire year starting to see what he's capable of doing. That way they can hedge their bets as to what to do with him long term. Then again, if he gets hurt and misses any amount of time, they might move him to the bullpen to save his arm.

In other words, I have no idea. :-b
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pokey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:57 pm

thedude wrote:I would say that his chances of closing are very slim. If worse comes to worse the red sox will turn to Bryce Cox.

I agree that the chances are slim, but Bryce Cox!? :-o . Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect, but I doubt the Sox are even considering him for the big league team this year. So far he's been good for a handful of games in college and a short season league. I hope the Sox have learned from Craig Hansen that these college closer types can be negatively effected by being rushed to the big leagues.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Rhydderch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:43 pm

I'd say a lot of also has to do with his arm and what the Sox staff feel. I have yet to hear that they think he can safely pitch as a closer again. Though there staff appears to be much stronger than there bullpen.

So ya, I have no idea either...
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby fbc_fan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 pm

forgive me if i am out of the loop, but shouldn't hansen be in the mix as a closer also? if so i'd think that between timlin, pinero and hansen, papelbon would just be a starter with almost no chance of closing again. barring some ridiculous run of injuries or ineptitude.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:03 pm

fbc_fan wrote:forgive me if i am out of the loop, but shouldn't hansen be in the mix as a closer also? if so i'd think that between timlin, pinero and hansen, papelbon would just be a starter with almost no chance of closing again. barring some ridiculous run of injuries or ineptitude.

exactly. Bryce Cox is not even the third choice. But IMO the red sox will turn to him before they take Papelbon out of the rotation.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 pm

I say the chance is less than 5%, They'd be more willing to trade away a prospect or two and get Cordero from Washington than take Paps out of the closers role
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 pm

Somehow, this situation makes me wonder if Boston has ever heard the expression "if it's not broke, don't fix it".
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers