Return to Baseball Leftovers

Papelbon, closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 pm

APAP wrote:I really doubt you see Pap back as closer, he's been a starter his whole career, he made himself a top prospect as a starter, closer was a one year experiment, leave the man alone, let him start. That is the only way you are going to get his full potential. And tinfoilwhatever, it just shows how much you know by making a statement like that.

Are you REALLY happy with having one of those two guys closing? A career setup man who is near retirement, or a #4 starter who pitched in a weaker division? If Boston wanted to move Papelbon into the rotation so badly, they should have used the past six months to find SOMEONE with a track record to fill his shoes in the pen.

The Yankees have Rivera. The Jays have Ryan. Hell, Baltimore has a semi-proven closer. You can't argue it's a stupid spot to put yourself in.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucksox » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:20 am

JoshExley wrote:Down goes Timlin!

Hear he's getting shut down for back pain per Rotoworld...

I heard that it won't be but a couple of weeks. Anyone else hear this?
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Timlin may come back and be decent but lets start realizing Sox fans. His best days are behind him.Its time to move on.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
APAP wrote:I really doubt you see Pap back as closer, he's been a starter his whole career, he made himself a top prospect as a starter, closer was a one year experiment, leave the man alone, let him start. That is the only way you are going to get his full potential. And tinfoilwhatever, it just shows how much you know by making a statement like that.

Are you REALLY happy with having one of those two guys closing? A career setup man who is near retirement, or a #4 starter who pitched in a weaker division? If Boston wanted to move Papelbon into the rotation so badly, they should have used the past six months to find SOMEONE with a track record to fill his shoes in the pen.

The Yankees have Rivera. The Jays have Ryan. Hell, Baltimore has a semi-proven closer. You can't argue it's a stupid spot to put yourself in.

There were no "proven closers" available this year. Besides closers don't become "proven" until they are given a chance to close. Gagne was a failed starter until he won the closer's job during spring training.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers