Return to Baseball Leftovers

List of streaky hitters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

List of streaky hitters?

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:49 am

I'm wondering if anyone out there compiled a list of streaky hitters for this year based on real data. I think this would be very useful to H2H owners. Does anyone know if something like this exists out there? If so, can you please post a link? Thanks!

The continually evolving list of streaky hitters (nominate or dispute below) - the first group are consensus picks, the second group are still up for debate:
A-Ram
Andruw Jones
Dunn
Zimmerman
Feliz
Marcus Giles
Winn
Hillenbrand
Kendall
Jenkins
Inge

Bay
Ichiro
Rollins
Bill Hall
Byrnes
Hunter
Last edited by Trojan Pony on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:11 pm

I guess that's a no?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LiveForever » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:01 pm

There isnt a list because streaky hitters dont exist. Its not something thats predictable.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Low average power hitters who K a lot tend to be the streakiest. High average line drive hitters who don't K much are the least streakiest from a fantasy standpoint.

I wouldn't really worry about it that much though. If a player with a solid track record starts slower just assume he'll come around, they almost always do. When a guy with no track record has a huge start to the season try to trade him because they rarely keep it up all year. Sometimes you lose with that strategy but in general you win. Sell high buy low.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Ender wrote:Low average power hitters who K a lot tend to be the streakiest. High average line drive hitters who don't K much are the least streakiest from a fantasy standpoint.

I wouldn't really worry about it that much though. If a player with a solid track record starts slower just assume he'll come around, they almost always do. When a guy with no track record has a huge start to the season try to trade him because they rarely keep it up all year. Sometimes you lose with that strategy but in general you win. Sell high buy low.

Yeah, true, that's not really why I'm asking though. I'm thinking more along the lines of H2H strategy and the fact that if a guy puts his numbers up in bunches it really doesn't help cuz it only means you'll only win those categories by that much more that particular week while other weeks when the hitter is cold you will be struggling. I think a hitter like this loses a lot of value in a H2H format, especially compared against a hitter with similar numbers who is more consistent. It would be nice to know who's consistent and who's streaky when I'm drafting for my H2H league so if I have a choice between two similar hitters I'll take the consistent one and get more use out of him in H2H. Makes sense, right?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:Ichiro and A-Ram would be on the top of my list...

Hmm... Ender's general principle on high-K power hitters vs. low-K contact hitters sounded reasonable but surely Ichiro is pretty much the antithesis of a high-K power hitter...? Is he an exception to the rule or is the rule inaccurate?

What I'm going to do is use the original post in this thread to begin compiling a list. If there are no strong objections to a player being listed then I will assume consensus and leave the player on the list until an objection arises. Unless someone has a more scientific way of doing this, PLEASE let me know, because I don't like the idea of things being so subjective...but it's better than nothing.

I'll start with Ichiro and A-Ram (not sure about the former myself though) and add Andruw Jones who I've seen mentioned in multiple places as a streaky hitter. Go ahead and nominate more players for the list...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:49 pm

LiveForever wrote:There isnt a list because streaky hitters dont exist. Its not something thats predictable.

Why not? If a guy has distinct hot and cold spells for 3 years in a row, why can't we predict that he will again be streaky for a fourth year? You see predictions all the time about a guy being a "Fast starter" or a "slow starter". They're not always accurate but people still make them. I don't see a major difference between that and what I'm looking for...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby schmidty » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:50 pm

Jimmy Rollins always struck me as streaky (not even considering his one big hitting streak).
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I've always felt like Torii Hunter was streaky when I had him...does anyone else agree?

And Mike Cameron too. Very streaky I thought.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers