Return to Baseball Leftovers

List of streaky hitters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby itodd » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Richard Hidalgo.
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 643
(Past Year: -4)
Joined: 9 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 pm

There's a difference between slow starters and streaky hitters. Ichiro and ARam don't strike me as streaky because when they get going they don't look back. Streaky hitters will kill you one week and lift your team to victory the next.


By the way here's a link for what SI.com thinks about this years consistent and not so consistent players....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 5941
(Past Year: -127)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:
LiveForever wrote:There isnt a list because streaky hitters dont exist. Its not something thats predictable.

Why not? If a guy has distinct hot and cold spells for 3 years in a row, why can't we predict that he will again be streaky for a fourth year? You see predictions all the time about a guy being a "Fast starter" or a "slow starter". They're not always accurate but people still make them. I don't see a major difference between that and what I'm looking for...


I don't see any problem with the concept, but how about offering a definition that would allow us to measure "streakiness". Then you could separate the more streaky from the less streaky.

IMO, however, once you did that you would find that all ballplayers are relatively similar in terms of their tendency to go through streaks. Could be wrong, but to convince me, I'd need to see some data.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:33 pm

Hmm... Ender's general principle on high-K power hitters vs. low-K contact hitters sounded reasonable but surely Ichiro is pretty much the antithesis of a high-K power hitter...? Is he an exception to the rule or is the rule inaccurate?


Ichiro is the exception to a ton of rules, heh. Those aren't hard and fast rules i gave and there will be exceptions for sure. The reason I say it is when a guy like Dunn stops hitting HR's he loses his AVG as well and his RBI's most of the time. He gets on streaks where he K's a ton and you just cannot be productive with a K. Guys who hit a lot of line drives need a ton of bad luck to see their average dip to really low levels and they weren't really relying on power for their numbers in the first place.

Anyway streaky guys aren't less valuable in H2H to begin with. You probably don't want an entire team built around them but a guy on a hot streak can carry your team one week and kill you the next but in the long run thats really no different than the guy thats just ok every week.

*editted for horrendous spelling*
Last edited by Ender on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7705
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm

jfg wrote:There's a difference between slow starters and streaky hitters. Ichiro and ARam don't strike me as streaky because when they get going they don't look back. Streaky hitters will kill you one week and lift your team to victory the next.


By the way here's a link for what SI.com thinks about this years consistent and not so consistent players....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... index.html

Great find! Just wish they had more... Thanks for the link.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1813
(Past Year: -125)
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tri-State Area

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:00 pm

Ender wrote:
Hmm... Ender's general principle on high-K power hitters vs. low-K contact hitters sounded reasonable but surely Ichiro is pretty much the antithesis of a high-K power hitter...? Is he an exception to the rule or is the rule inaccurate?


Ichiro is the exception to a ton of rules, heh. Those aren't hard and fast rules i gave and there will be exceptions for sure. The reason I say it is when a guy like Dunn stops hitting HR's he loses his AVG as well and his RBI's most of the time. He gets on streaks where he K's a ton and you just cannot be productive with a K. Guys who hit a lot of line drives need a ton of bad luck to see their average dip to really low levels and they weren't really relying on power for their numbers in the first place.

Anyway streaky guys aren't less valuable in H2H to begin with. You probably don't want an entire team built around them but a guy on a host streak can carry your team one weak and kill you the next but in the long run thats really no different than the guy thats just ok every week.

Well I'm not saying I would take a consistent average hitter over a streaky great hitter. But I disagree with the assertion that given two statistically similar players that the streaky one isn't any less valuable in H2H. I'm pretty sure having the consistent guy could mean the difference between winning and losing a couple weeks, which could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1813
(Past Year: -125)
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tri-State Area

Postby Trojan Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:04 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:
LiveForever wrote:There isnt a list because streaky hitters dont exist. Its not something thats predictable.

Why not? If a guy has distinct hot and cold spells for 3 years in a row, why can't we predict that he will again be streaky for a fourth year? You see predictions all the time about a guy being a "Fast starter" or a "slow starter". They're not always accurate but people still make them. I don't see a major difference between that and what I'm looking for...


I don't see any problem with the concept, but how about offering a definition that would allow us to measure "streakiness". Then you could separate the more streaky from the less streaky.

IMO, however, once you did that you would find that all ballplayers are relatively similar in terms of their tendency to go through streaks. Could be wrong, but to convince me, I'd need to see some data.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, and I hope there's some data out there (that SI article is a good start). I still think trying to identify streaky hitters by consensus is better than nothing at all. Point well taken though, I agree.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1813
(Past Year: -125)
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tri-State Area

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:14 am

Well I'm not saying I would take a consistent average hitter over a streaky great hitter. But I disagree with the assertion that given two statistically similar players that the streaky one isn't any less valuable in H2H. I'm pretty sure having the consistent guy could mean the difference between winning and losing a couple weeks, which could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.


I still disagree, there are going to be weeks where someone is hot and gives you wins, there will be weeks when they are cold and you lose. Yearly stats still rule the day and I wouldn't want to drop someone in my ratings just because they were streaky the previous year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7705
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tms298 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:20 am

I would say the two biggest in my opinion are pedro feliz and adam dunn. When they are going, make sure they are in your lineup. Unfortunately, the reverse it also true.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 619
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:57 am

Ender wrote:
Well I'm not saying I would take a consistent average hitter over a streaky great hitter. But I disagree with the assertion that given two statistically similar players that the streaky one isn't any less valuable in H2H. I'm pretty sure having the consistent guy could mean the difference between winning and losing a couple weeks, which could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.


I still disagree, there are going to be weeks where someone is hot and gives you wins, there will be weeks when they are cold and you lose. Yearly stats still rule the day and I wouldn't want to drop someone in my ratings just because they were streaky the previous year.

Well I would. Agree to disagree! :*)
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1813
(Past Year: -125)
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tri-State Area

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron