Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB.com's top 5 starting rotations....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 pm

dukesimms wrote:
05worldserieschamps wrote: But Zumaya had plenty of problems last year

What problems? Except for playing too much Guitar Hero Zumaya was lights out.
Rogers, Bonderman,Verlander, Robertson, Maroth (now that he's healthy) with Miller in the wings is scary good. Bullpen is loaded even if Jones drops. Just lacking a lefty reliever.

I dunno if I'd say scary good. Verlander's year was really flukey, Robertson still has a lot of problems getting righties out and Maroth is a below average pitcher. Rogers might take a step back if they stop him from cheating again this year since they put that new rule in place. Bonderman is the only one I see actually improving.

I'd put them in the top 5 but for me its probably closer to 5 than 1.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:46 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Nobody thinks the Brewers should be up here?? I think they could easily be the best in the NL with Sheets/Capuano/Bush/Suppan....

(ps, no I'm not a Brewers fan...)

I do. I think they could have an excellent staff.

I also agree with Snakes Gould - I like Phillies staff. Not outstanding, but its solid top to bottom. I have both of those team winning their divisions on that alone.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Hard not to like the Brewers with those WHIPs last year.

Villaneuva - 1.01
Sheets - 1.09
Bush - 1.14
Capuano 1.25

Suppan will probably struggle now that he doesnt' have that cardinals D behind him but Vargas should improve since he's always stunk in Arizona but been good on the road.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby jbones733 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:51 am

wow looking around, you realize how many bad staffs there are out there

anwyay heres my take on some staffs

White Sox (solid 1-4) Buerhle, Conteras, Garlandm Vazquez & a ton of live young arms on their way (Danks, Floyd, Haeger, etc)

Tigers (cant count on Kennny Rogers again, Verlander, Bonderman very solid, not sure if #1)

Red Sox - Schilling (wants another contract),. Beckett - think he will be better, Dice -K - believe the hype, Wakefield - savvy vet, Papelbon - looks geat so far, we'll see - thats a damn good staff there

Braves have a decent 1-2-3 - if Hudson retturns to form w Smoltz & C James,

Dodgers have a good staff w Schmidt, Penny, Lowe & Billinglsey

if Sheets would ever stay healthy then u can mention Brewers
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Nobody thinks the Brewers should be up here?? I think they could easily be the best in the NL with Sheets/Capuano/Bush/Suppan....

(ps, no I'm not a Brewers fan...)

I love the MIL staff as long as Sheets can make it the whole season without getting hurt. I got the Brew Crew @ 50-1 odds to win the WS. NL is wide open and why not?
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BlaineStoughton » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 am

As a Yankee hater i have to admit that the Bosox have a great rotation. They need to be in the top 5. The Indians inclusion is laughable. All of my rankings are at home and thus I can't add anymore here except that the Yankees are underrated.
BlaineStoughton
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby slomo007 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:37 am

No love for the Dodgers? Man their rotation is great this year. :-°
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby UnsungHero » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 pm

The Tigers are the hands down #1 not even rotation but pitching staff in baseball. There is no reason to expect Kenny to fall off at all its not like he depends on his fastball to be in the 90s to get people out and pitching that deep in playoffs he showed that he can pitch in big games through the whole year just not the 1st half. Verlander is not a fluke his #'s might tail off a bit but its not like he is some kid right out of high school he played college ball and spent a year in the minors before having a great rookie year. Bondo is hitting the prime of his carrer and is the best all around pitching on the team. Nate started rally gum enough said. Maroth is the best 5th pitcher on any team, what other team has a lefty that can eat up 200+ innings that will usually keep a team in the game.

those are just the 5 starters they have 5-6 other pitchers that would be starts on others teams opening day rosters either in thier bullpen or in AAA including Ledezma(who proved he could start in 06), Miner, ANDREW MILLER, De La Cruz, Grilli, Tata, Kyle Sleeth(former 1st round pick coming off tommy john and hasnt giving up a run this spring) and even though zumaya has found his place in the bullpen he was a starter in AAA and his stats were as good Verlanders. Not to mention they traded Humberto Sanchez for Sheffield
UnsungHero
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers