Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Delmon Young...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Delmon Young...

Postby doc watson » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:01 am

He's got an ADP of roughly 83. That's end of the 7th early 8th for a 12 teamer.

The average projection seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of .285 75R 20HR 90RBI 20SB.

The news yesterday was that he might bat 3rd behind rocco and crawford.

Is he a poor man's Johnny Damon in 07 for a chance at Sizemore, Carlos Lee type potential in 08 and 09? Or is a late 7th round pick too pricey for this guy even with his upside?
doc watson
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:37 pm

its a high draft pick for upside.
but his upside is HUGE.
his head is now on his shoulders and he has the potential to bat 2nd or 3rd and either way will rack up runs or rbis.
i would take him, but i would becareful...
id take him before dice-k thats for sure.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -216)

Postby looptid » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:44 pm

Young's not really comparable to Sizemore, in that he comes from the Vladimir Guerrero-Kirby Puckett mold of being exceptionally gifted in his ability to make contact with fantastic plate coverage but having precious little plate discipline.

I'd keep a close eye on where Young is expected to bat. If he can hit third behind Baldelli and Crawford it could help him a lot. Opposing pitchers should give Young more fastballs in trying to slow the Tampa running game. For a young player with Young's lack of selection at the plate, the fewer off speed pitches and breaking balls he sees, the better.

That being said, he didn't lose his #1 prospect status to Gordon because he declined. Gordon just shot past him.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby houstonoilers » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:17 pm

looptid wrote:Young's not really comparable to Sizemore, in that he comes from the Vladimir Guerrero-Kirby Puckett mold of being exceptionally gifted in his ability to make contact with fantastic plate coverage but having precious little plate discipline.

I'd keep a close eye on where Young is expected to bat. If he can hit third behind Baldelli and Crawford it could help him a lot. Opposing pitchers should give Young more fastballs in trying to slow the Tampa running game. For a young player with Young's lack of selection at the plate, the fewer off speed pitches and breaking balls he sees, the better.

That being said, he didn't lose his #1 prospect status to Gordon because he declined. Gordon just shot past him.

I only think Gordon "shot" past him because of the incident last year and due to the postion that Gordon plays. Delmon has 30/30 potential while Gordon has 30/15, IMO. Plus, Tampa is aggresive and Young has a great jump for the bases. I think they both will have very good averages through their careers.
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby APAP » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 pm

Honeslty, I think he's overvalued and overrated.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm

I don't think he's over-valued necessarily. He hit .317 during 126 major-league at-bats last year, so it appears he already knows how to handle major-league pitching.

He's also got credentials. He was the Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year in '05. His numbers show he clearly earned it.

I would worry more about him being a headcase than anything else after the bat-throwing incident, but I haven't heard much lately about where his head's at. I think 8th round is an ok spot to take a chance on him in a 12-teamer, especially if it's a keeper, where I assume he's going much earlier.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

His biggest weakness is his ability to draw a walk. Maybe he turns into Vlad, maybe not...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:07 am

i have him in the 60s for keepr and 80s for redraft. seems about right.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:45 am

I think hes worth a 6th-7th round pick if you're feeling lucky.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby twentysix » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:53 am

I got him with the 108th overall pick (11th round with 10 teams, 9th with 12 teams) in an ESPN draft. This was a public league and I'm not so sure if half the owners are even going to look at their teams again, but I figured I'd pass this along.
Yanks in '08!
twentysix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers