Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Delmon Young...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby looptid » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:30 am

houstonoilers wrote:
looptid wrote:Young's not really comparable to Sizemore, in that he comes from the Vladimir Guerrero-Kirby Puckett mold of being exceptionally gifted in his ability to make contact with fantastic plate coverage but having precious little plate discipline.

I'd keep a close eye on where Young is expected to bat. If he can hit third behind Baldelli and Crawford it could help him a lot. Opposing pitchers should give Young more fastballs in trying to slow the Tampa running game. For a young player with Young's lack of selection at the plate, the fewer off speed pitches and breaking balls he sees, the better.

That being said, he didn't lose his #1 prospect status to Gordon because he declined. Gordon just shot past him.

I only think Gordon "shot" past him because of the incident last year and due to the postion that Gordon plays. Delmon has 30/30 potential while Gordon has 30/15, IMO. Plus, Tampa is aggresive and Young has a great jump for the bases. I think they both will have very good averages through their careers.

That's contrary to what I've read and heard at BaseballAmerica and BaseballProspectus. Gordon has something Young lacks.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:26 pm

houstonoilers wrote:
looptid wrote:Young's not really comparable to Sizemore, in that he comes from the Vladimir Guerrero-Kirby Puckett mold of being exceptionally gifted in his ability to make contact with fantastic plate coverage but having precious little plate discipline.

I'd keep a close eye on where Young is expected to bat. If he can hit third behind Baldelli and Crawford it could help him a lot. Opposing pitchers should give Young more fastballs in trying to slow the Tampa running game. For a young player with Young's lack of selection at the plate, the fewer off speed pitches and breaking balls he sees, the better.

That being said, he didn't lose his #1 prospect status to Gordon because he declined. Gordon just shot past him.

I only think Gordon "shot" past him because of the incident last year and due to the postion that Gordon plays. Delmon has 30/30 potential while Gordon has 30/15, IMO. Plus, Tampa is aggresive and Young has a great jump for the bases. I think they both will have very good averages through their careers.

Although that may be true, (I personally believe both players have 40 HR potential), I think Gordon's average/OBP will be consistently higher. I just like him better as a prospect right now. A guy with plate discipline more likely than not will have success in the majors sooner than a guy who swings at everything.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:50 pm

looptid wrote:
houstonoilers wrote:

That's contrary to what I've read and heard at BaseballAmerica and BaseballProspectus. Gordon has something Young lacks.

two years?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 pm

Well I have him for $5.00 and can keep him for many more by adding at $5.00 per year before next years draft.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby berkguyyy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 pm

In redraft, I don't like his value at all. He's usually taken around the time the Rios, Baldelli and Hunters are taken. I'd rather have the other 3 studs (especially Rios) than Young. A lot of his value is derived from the hype of his potential and while it is accurate I personally would go after a safer pick who is more likely than not bound to produce.
berkguyyy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Everyone is noting that Young is a free-swinger and doesn't walk, but he also makes a ton of contact, a la Vlad Guerrero.

I think roto types can get obsessed with indicator stats like OBP. Don't forget, that's not a category in most leagues.

Delmon is definitely THE draft pick for gamblers this year. There really isn't a true five-category guy in all of fantasy baseball, and Young has a shot.

The problem is, to get Delmon Young, you have to take him higher than his projections. People averse to risk aren't going to own Delmon Young.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby houstonoilers » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:19 am

to focus on Delmon you must insure your infiield in the first few rounds...guy like hansley and reyes for example....you have to focus on you infield in most leagues early...especialy auctions. With the offense and the potential of Young batting third I would NOT hesitate on taking him in the 6th at the highest....given my infield is set for my first 5 rounds.

but thats just me
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 am

After round 10 in a shallow league like a yahoo default you might as well just draft for upside. You draft way too few players to really make it matter one way or the other.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers