Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Giles

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian Giles

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I really didn't follow this guy last year. Is there a particualr explanation for his steep decline or shoudl we just assumed that he is getting washed up.

To me he still seems like a decent vs RH platoon guy in deep leagues.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I just took him as my 4th OF in round 18 of a 13 team Cafe league... :-o

He said that the "pitchers park" mentality was getting to his head a little bit and he was pressing. Supposedly he's made a change in his swing to shorten it up so that he can bring the BA back up...but I don't think that will help the power numbers come back. :-/

My thought process was that he's got something to prove this year, and he's got his brother on the team which should keep him in good spirits all year. Plus, he's a lifetime .295 hitter...I think he can get back to that area this year with all the positive steps he and the team have taken in the offseason. I doubt he will hit 25 HR's though...he still thinks he can. Still, as a 4th OF I'll take a .290 average, 15 HR's, 80 runs and RBI, and 10 steals. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby zepfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:25 pm

I think the numbers put up by Mercer boy seem about right although I think they may be closer to his upside. I've had him in my dynasty league since 2001 and I'll be dropping him this year.
I think the combination of his age + playing in PETCO will mean that he definitely will not be the force he used to be. Drafting him as a 4th OF seems about about right.
Could be a lot more valuable in OBP leagues though as he is still drawing a lot of walks.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)

Postby schmidty » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 am

Hmm ... from my "Rate my Team" thread, there seems to be a lot of dislike towards Giles. I drafted him as a back-up OFer in a H2H league which has walks as a cat. I had him down for similar numbers to Mercer Boy's projection: 280-300 range, 85-95 runs, 15 HRs, 80-90 RBIs, 10 SBs, 100 walks. In other words, pretty much what he did last year, but with his AVG trending closer to his career norm - not that crazy of a projection, I think. In a 6x6 H2H league counting walks, I figured those walks plus decent across the board numbers in the other cats made him decent backup value late in the draft. He's not the player he was in Pitt, but in 2004 and 2005 he posted numbers better than my projection. I guess we'll see. Since he's not looking to get that much PT on my team (my OF starters are Berkman, Holliday, and Damon) I'm willing to give him some leeway and see if these "swing adjustments" are for real.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:07 am

I actually think having his brother ther will help both players.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Return to Baseball Leftovers