Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myself vs My Co-owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Myself vs My Co-owner

Postby X Man » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:46 am

I've entered into a partnership with a friend in a CBS league, I also have an intense rivalry with the same friend ( I edged him out by one game last year to win championship ) in a Yahoo league. We agreed to eliminate any conflict of interest, We would arrange the CBS draft to be held after the Yahoo draft.

Well we already paid the fee and as it turns out, Due to circumstances outside of our control, The CBS draft will be held one week before the Yahoo draft.

I have some reservations about sharing my rankings / opinions with him before we draft for the Yahoo league.

I see my options as these,

A) Suck it up and fully share my data for the CBS draft which would give us a better chance for success and hope any insight I may provide does not come back to bite me in the ass for the Yahoo draft

B) Suggest that I be a silent partner for the CBS league until the draft concludes.

C) Participate in the CBS draft but keep some of my favorite sleepers and draft stategys in my back pocket until the Yahoo draft.

Please provide some feedback as to which way you would proceed.
X Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby greenandgold » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:49 am

If the CBS league is a money league I think you should suck it up.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby X Man » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:50 am

Thanks, They are both money leagues.
X Man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby twentysix » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:57 am

If your partner was smart enough to make it to the championships last year, I doubt you have any super secret sleeper or strategy that he hasn't already thought about. I wouldn't go gushing about guys you really like, but I don't think you're really going to screw yourself in the other league.
It works both ways, as you will also see who he favors.
Yanks in '08!
twentysix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:19 am

you don't have to give him rankings, just tell him which player to pick at any given time. If you need an ace (or a bat...) up your sleeve, just go for a comparable player at a similar spot.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby josebach » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:22 am

Just work off Yahoo's o-rank or ESPN's ADP and create a single Excel spreadsheet that lists all players. That's what I do anyway. If you're really knowledgeable about the players and prepared for the draft, you don't need a customized cheatsheet to help you remember which players you think will have a good year. I think most fantasy baseball veterans create custom cheat sheets because they're fun, not because they really need them.

Then, when you have your Yahoo draft, you can break out your "ultra super secret I'll have to kill you if you saw them" rankings. ;-7 :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby norton17 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:21 am

I'm in a money league as a co-owner with my friend (and biggest rival in another money league) but we don't worry about it at all.

If both of us are good enough to consistently finish at the top of our money league we probably don't need each others ideas to field a good team.
norton17
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:09 am

Well you either both share your draft boards or neither of you do. Either way you should have an even playing field come the yahoo draft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby BlaineStoughton » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:22 am

I favor the advice of using common rankings/ADPs. Then, as the CBS draft is going, offer tidbits of opinions. Definitely keep information that you want secretive in your back pocket. Because your partner will be and don't be naive about that.

Then that Yahoo draft will be like a chessmatch.
BlaineStoughton
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:25 pm

you're sharing a team with the guy and not sure you want to do all you can to win?

weird.

it's a lot easier than you think to give out sleepers and help someone during a draft, while still showing you barely have any interest in that specific player.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -51)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers