Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Strategy ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Strategy ???

Postby Peter_123 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:16 am

Hey guys i'm more experienced with roto leagues and i'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to go about drafting my team in my H2H league. Thx alot
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Peter_123 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Thx but this isen't exactly what i was looking for, there are many more aspects of H2H leagues besides closers.
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Peter_123 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:16 pm

bump
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:52 pm

Peter_123 wrote:Thx but this isen't exactly what i was looking for, there are many more aspects of H2H leagues besides closers.

Well, I don't think he was trying to kill your thread, just getting it started...

I really don't think drafting H2H is all that different from drafting for roto. I do both and use more or less the same draft strategy and I've had success at both. However, there are a few considerations:

One thing I've found to be generally true is that there's less of an emphasis (or obsession even) on saves and steals like there often is in roto. When people know they only have to beat one guy instead of race against 11 other guys they're less eager to monopolize scarce categories. The notorious "closer rush" endemic to roto drafts rarely happens in H2H drafts (this is probably mentioned in that closer thread).

Look out for inconsistent "streaky" hitters in H2H...their numbers can be deceiving because while they look good overall they put up a lot of their numbers in a select number of weeks, meanwhile hurting you more than helping you. Look for the "List of streaky hitters?" thread in the Leftovers section...I'm trying to put together some sort of a list of players like this. For example, A-Ram and Garrett Atkins are pretty darn close statistically as far as 3B's go (with A-Ram perhaps getting the slight edge) but when you factor in streakiness, I would rather draft Atkins in a H2H league.

Don't fall into the trap of punting a category or deemphasizing pitching and hitting while dominating the other in the draft. Building a balanced, well-rounded team is just as important in H2H as it is in roto. You'd be surprised how many weeks your "dominant" offense can get cold and with a paltry pitching staff backing it up, you're screwed.

That's all I can think of right now...
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -125)

Postby Peter_123 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks alot Trojan, I really appreciate it. Anyone else have anything to share ?
Peter_123
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Charette » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 am

I like to have the best pitching in the league or close to it. As far as batters go, I tend to draft batters with high batting averages who will score a lot of runs. I also like to get either Reyes or Crawford. In 1 league I have both of them as keepers.
I tend to have less power than most teams, but I go for runs, steals , and average. With the high batting average guys, I feel my hitting is much less streaky. I love players like Holliday, Atkins, Guerrero, A. Gonzalez . High average guys who will hit 25-30 homeruns. I do get maybe 2 power guys who may hurt my average a little.
I also like to get 1 top 6 closer. As far as bench hitters, I like to have 3, and hopefully I can get a couple multi-position guys. I have the deep bench to try and get more at bats than my opponent on Mondays and Thursdays.
If the settings are not 5x5, than I look for ways to gain an advantage.
Don't punt any categories .
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers